Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java issue, please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

Well Im back! After several years of not being on bleepingcomputer, I have returned!

Anyway, my question is about java, and mods please move this, if it is in the wrong category. Thanks

My scheduling system for work uses java. However at home on this laptop I do no have java installed apparently. When I try to install it via online or offline packages, i double click to run it, and nothing happens. looking at task manager, i see it running, but it hangs around 6700k for memory usuage. Then nothing.

It would be great to be able to do my work on my laptop than the work computer.

I do not recall all the information that you will need, but will definitely provide whatever is needed.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goundin

goundin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

Head over to http://www.ninite.com and grab the Java downloader from there. Run that and see if you have any luck.

#3 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Do you want to run JavaTM programs, or do you want to develop Java programs? If you want to run Java programs, but not develop them, download the Java Runtime Environment, or JRETM.

If you want to develop applications for Java, download the Java Development Kit, or JDKTM. The JDK includes the JRE, so you do not have to download both separately.

You need to create an account on the Oracle Website, get to the Java Downloads page, select more downloads. Then under 

Browse by Category:   Click: Java SE    (includes JavaFX) | Early Access

This gives you the option to download Java SE8 u60, with JDK, or JRE, along with all associated documentation, the current  versions

The Oracle site is the only way to get up to date Java software. I ought to know as I have programmed in Java for some years and I get all my Java software from  the official Oracle website.

If you have problems or further questions, post again.

Edited by tealover, 09 October 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#4 Scottster1

Scottster1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

It looks like OP is just running his Java program, so the JRE should suffice.  

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

@ComputerMan23

If I have read correctly, your Java situation is for "home laptop use."

Take a look that this post I recently created in the Computer Security Forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591741/javainout-goodbad/

Personally, if you have further questions about your current Java issue, if it were me, I'd perhaps create a new thread in the General Security Forum (and reference this post as well?)

Apologies if I'm off base on where you might post.  I feel you would get faster answers there than here in the Windows 7 forum. All of us try to watch one anothers back IMO!!

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users