Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am told my Windows Vista is not genuine and i cam't activate.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

A few days ago a sign came up telling me my Windows Vista ™ Build 6002 is not genuine. It happened shortly after installing Ad-aware. This has been uninstalled but has made no difference. Every time i log in a window appears telling me to activate now. I have tried using the number on the bottom of my laptop as well as a number found from within the system, but neither of these have been accepted.

I had a new hard drive put in a month or so ago and am wondering if this may be the reason for the problem.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me!  JH

Edited by John in Oman, 09 October 2015 - 09:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

The new hard drive could be the issue. I don't know much about this kinda stuff. There is also a possibility that you may have a Pirited copy of vista. It could also be something that ad-aware did.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:51 AM

It is not a pirated copy of Vista as i have had it for over two years without any indications of it being so. Thanks for your reply anyway!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,223 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Try calling MSFT explain the hardware change to the tech they usually can git it fixed.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

I don't believe a privious poster was implying OP is a pirate.  I know many people purchase used computers from many different sources without any idea just where that original OS on said computers came from.  Pirated=nonGenuine=nonAuthenticable --  to me means an OS that has lost its traces to an original OEM or Microsoft DVD install.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users