Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Connect External HDD To Network

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boweasel

boweasel

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

I have an old XP Home desktop tahe I still use to edit music.  The software I use works great on XP and that's about all I use the computer for.

But.... I have a 1.5 TB hooked up to the XP desktop and I seem unable to find a working method to enable me to 'see' that HDD on my other networked computers.  

I seem to have no problem getting my other external drives to be readable (and writable) from my other 2 Windows 7 computers (1 a laptop, and the other a desktop).  Each of them has a large external drive plugged into a USB port.  But the external drive on my XP machine is, so far, not accessible from any of those other computers.

My modem/router is directly connected to the XP, and it has no USB ports.  The external drive has no ethernet ports.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

Lemmie see if I can remember bitsNpieces of my following my dad's son-in-law's hired network/database dude in my dad's company.

First, how is the external HD attached?  How does your Windows XP communicate, read from, write to, this external drive?

[I remember the olde IDE, older SATA, new SATA connections.  Is this ext HD always connected to the computer.  Does it have an assigned drive letter?

** I only have Windows XP Mode, a Virtual Machine XP.  I never worked on a networked computer with full Windows XP; except as

a substitute teacher at 3 different ISDs; and nobody changes anything on any school computer except teachers and their IT people.

Can you share this external drive?  Within my Windows 7 Pro, I can right-click on my internal partitions and share them.  Once I've shared them,  if I properly boot the computers, starting with Number One computer, all three computers see each other's shared partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 October 2015 - 05:14 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

Lemmie see if I can remember bitsNpieces of my following my dad's son-in-law's hired network/database dude in my dad's company.

First, how is the external HD attached? 

The external drive is attached pretty much normally - a USB cable connecting the drive to the XP desktop

How does your Windows XP communicate, read from, write to, this external drive?

[I remember the olde IDE, older SATA, new SATA connections.  Is this ext HD always connected to the computer.  Does it have an assigned drive letter?

Your questions baffle me.  This works just like any other thumb drive plugged into a USB port.  And just like a thumb drive, the computer assigns a letter to that drive.  This drive is always plugged into the desktop, and thus the drive letter never changes.  

** I only have Windows XP Mode, a Virtual Machine XP.  I never worked on a networked computer with full Windows XP; except as

a substitute teacher at 3 different ISDs; and nobody changes anything on any school computer except teachers and their IT people.

Can you share this external drive?  Within my Windows 7 Pro, I can right-click on my internal partitions and share them.  Once I've shared them,  if I properly boot the computers, starting with Number One computer, all three computers see each other's shared partitions.

And here I thought my question was so clear.  No, the external drive attached to the desktop is not being shared - that's the reason I posted -  I WANT to share it with other computers on my home network.  Other than the XP desktop, I have a Windows 7 laptop and desktop as well as a Vista laptop.  They are all working wirelessly through my router, therefore they are all part of my network.  Each of the Windows 7 computers have external drives plugged into their USB ports.  I can open Windows Explorer in either of those PCs, navigate to the left pane, expand the Network, click on whatever I've named the drive when I set up File Sharing, and can then read and write to that drive, even though it is not directly connected to that computer.

That is exactly the capability I want with the XP external drive.  I want to be able to at least read anything on that drive from either of my Windows 7 PCs.  XP just doesn't work the same as 7 when it comes to sharing.  I'm sure it can easily be done.  I just need someone to give me some step by step instructions.      

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:24 AM

I'm no networking expert, but I am aware from my work that older versions of Windows can have trouble sharing with newer.

Since we're not sure exactly what procedures you've already tried, could I suggest checking through the possibilities in these articles, and if unsuccessful explain what fails, error messages etc, and we can try further:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/53830-file-sharing-between-xp-w7-vice-versa.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13197/map-a-network-drive-from-xp-to-windows-7/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Platypus, it's OP's second post that answered how the ext HD is connected [via USB] and that OP wants to SHARE that drive so that all computers can see it.

I should have guessed it from OP's first post, never have been "the best" at guessing!

You raised a great point!  For a few weeks, I did have a full blown Windows XP on a used laptop within my Windows 7 Professional "network."

Most of my computers' "seeing" each other drives were one-way, the XP did not work well at all reading/writing to Windows 7's controlled HDs.

The Windows 7 computer could most of the time read from/write to the Windows XP controlled HD.  Many times, there was problems coaxing the reads/writes.

OP needs to tell us what OS computer Number One is using [by Number One, I mean the computer being post/booted first, the computer designated as The Firsrt.]  Getting OS X communing with OS Y is not always easy!  Home and small business-based networks often have a Number One -- that's the advice I got from a local computer guru.  OP needs to tell us how computers are using Windows XP, how many are using Windows 7, or whatever OS.

Also, are all the computers "hard-wired" [Ethernet] and/or "wireless?"  Hard-wire and wireless was not mentioned in OP's opening post.

Platypus, correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm thinking:  OS differences [unless ALL are Windows XP] and whether Ethernet-hard-wired and/or whether "wireless" absolutely plays a part in not only initial setup but also absolutely plays a part in the day by day operations of shared drives.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 October 2015 - 07:17 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

...and by the way, my several-months work-experience within a company network involved DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Novell 3[?], hard-wire only, along with accounting computers running a business version of BASIC.  My only experience with WXP/W7 home networking lasted maybe two weeks; in which my success with XP & W7 was spotty at best.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

I can only speak from an "in principle" point of view, that older versions of Windows are likely to have default configurations that might no longer satisfy a requirement of a later version, e.g. for security, and need a manual adjustment.

#8 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

Platypus, it's OP's second post that answered how the ext HD is connected [via USB] and that OP wants to SHARE that drive so that all computers can see it.

OP needs to tell us what OS computer Number One is using [by Number One, I mean the computer being post/booted first, the computer designated as The Firsrt.]  Getting OS X communing with OS Y is not always easy!  Home and small business-based networks often have a Number One -- that's the advice I got from a local computer guru.  OP needs to tell us how computers are using Windows XP, how many are using Windows 7, or whatever OS.

Also, are all the computers "hard-wired" [Ethernet] and/or "wireless?"  Hard-wire and wireless was not mentioned in OP's opening post.

You've lost me with the Number One and The First business...

The Windows XP desktop is pretty much always on.  My router and modem are connected via Ethernet cable to that computer.  The rest of my computers are ALL working wirelessly.  I have the absolute simplest version of a home network.  One computer (the XP) hard wired - the others all connected wirelessly to that network.  As I said earlier, 2 of the other PCs are running Windows 7.  Both of them also have external hard drives attached via USB cable.  On both of those Windows 7s I can read and write not only to the other Windows 7 PC, but also to the external drive attached to each.

As far as the XP computer, I have no overriding need to be able to 'see' the documents and files on that computer from either of the Windows 7s (although it'd be nice).  I do, however have a real need to be able to read from the Windows XPs external drive.    I hope I've made it clearer.

Platypus, correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm thinking:  OS differences [unless ALL are Windows XP] and whether Ethernet-hard-wired and/or whether "wireless" absolutely plays a part in not only initial setup but also absolutely plays a part in the day by day operations of shared drives.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

Ok, if I understand correctly -- you want the two Windows 7 computers to be able to read from/write to the Windows XP computer's external HD.  That should be doable.  I do not know how to Share a hard-drive from within Windows XP -- somebody else will have to tell us how to do so.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 October 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#10 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:08 AM

Pardon me while I wipe the egg from my face.....

The second link supplied by Platypus was something that I'd also found through a Google search.  I could not get the process to yield any results.

This first link is something I'd never seen - I was only looking in forums that dealt with XP - that link took me to a Windows 7 forum.  However, the link displayed images that looked vaguely familiar.  So I went back down to the XP desktop, right-clicked on the folder and left-clicked Sharing and Security.  The screen I saw didn't quite look like the screen in the attachment.  Instead of the tick boxes, I had a warning - 'To protect your computer from unauthorized access, sharing the root of a drive is not recommended'.  That sentence was in a different color, and I did not realize (when I'd visited that sharing box previously) that it was clickable.  Clicking that sentence brought up another warning about being sure I understood the risks.  I had to click on that as well to see the image in the attachment. 

Once I did that, it was a snap.  The drive is now readable (and writable) on my Windows 7 computers.   

Thanks for the education - not only on this issue but on learning that all registered 'views' on a topic do not necessarily constitute avenues for helpful replies.    

Attached Files

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:25 AM

That's the result we were hoping for! Thanks for filling in the detail - even with continually reducing use of XP, in months to come it might be the answer for someone else too.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Realizing that Sharing  a drive was a major key, it was only a matter of time before OP discovered the answer!  :)

[BTW, please do not use the color red in replies, I can barely read black print on white background as it is.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users