Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

modem + router? or modem with router built in?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cwalker457

cwalker457

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi! so i have some networking questions since i recently upgrade internet services with comcast and was wondering some things!

1st: should i buy my own modem? or use the one that they charge me monthly for?

2nd: if i buy buy a third-party modem, should i buy a modem with a wifi router built in? or a modem with no wifi and then get a seperate router?

3rd: do you have have any suggestions for a modem with wifi built in? or a router plus a modem combo that is under $200 ?

Thanks for any advice ! :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

This is my personal opinion. You would be better off with a regular modem with a separate router.

Gateway units (modem/router combo) are problematic. Range of wifi signal may not be very good. If the unit goes bad it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot to see what the problem is.

You did not mention who your ISP is but most of them offer home phone service.
Do you have phone service through your ISP? If you do,  you may or may not be able to purchase a telephony modem.

You do have options.

1) Get  the gateway device and use it for your WiFi.

2) Get  the gateway, put it in bridge mode (if your ISP allows this) and use your own router. Bridge mode turns off the wireless function of the gateway so you can hook up your router to it. Depending on who your ISP is, you may be able to disable bridge mode yourself. With my Comcast gateway it was easy to do from the modem configuration page.

3) Purchase a regular modem and use your router.

Whether to use pay for each month for the providers modem or get your own is a choice only you can make. You have to decide if buying one is better in the long run for you.

As for suggestions regarding which one you should buy, you will need to find out if your ISP has an approved modems list. If they do, it is likely that only a few of them are available for retail sale.
You don't want to buy a modem then find out your ISP does not support its use.

Here is why I use my Comcast modem in bridge mode and my router.

When I had to use my gateway for a few days in July due to my router going bad, I had a horrible experience with the gateway after I took it out of bridge mode. The plan was to use only the gateway for a couple of weeks, then buy a new router.

While the signal was good every where in the house, my speeds went down and were slower than a turtle.

A 30 second download took an hour.

Another one that should have taken less than a minute took all night and it still had not finished downloading by the next morning.

I got a new router a lot sooner than I had planned on getting it.

Each person has a different experience using the gateway unit. You will have to see what it does for you if you do not want to use your router.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 October 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#3 cwalker457

cwalker457
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:12 PM

This is my personal opinion. You would be better off with a regular modem with a separate router.

Gateway units (modem/router combo) are problematic. Range of wifi signal may not be very good. If the unit goes bad it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot to see what the problem is.

You did not mention who your ISP is but most of them offer home phone service.
Do you have phone service through your ISP? If you do,  you may or may not be able to purchase a telephony modem.

You do have options.

1) Get  the gateway device and use it for your WiFi.

2) Get  the gateway, put it in bridge mode (if your ISP allows this) and use your own router. Bridge mode turns off the wireless function of the gateway so you can hook up your router to it. Depending on who your ISP is, you may be able to disable bridge mode yourself. With my Comcast gateway it was easy to do from the modem configuration page.

3) Purchase a regular modem and use your router.

Whether to use pay for each month for the providers modem or get your own is a choice only you can make. You have to decide if buying one is better in the long run for you.

As for suggestions regarding which one you should buy, you will need to find out if your ISP has an approved modems list. If they do, it is likely that only a few of them are available for retail sale.
You don't want to buy a modem then find out your ISP does not support its use.

Here is why I use my Comcast modem in bridge mode and my router.

When I had to use my gateway for a few days in July due to my router going bad, I had a horrible experience with the gateway after I took it out of bridge mode. The plan was to use only the gateway for a couple of weeks, then buy a new router.

While the signal was good every where in the house, my speeds went down and were slower than a turtle.

A 30 second download took an hour.

Another one that should have taken less than a minute took all night and it still had not finished downloading by the next morning.

I got a new router a lot sooner than I had planned on getting it.

Each person has a different experience using the gateway unit. You will have to see what it does for you if you do not want to use your router.

Thanks for the quick reply! and my ISP is comcast and I have the gateway that we rent each month for 10 dollars, and ive read the compatible modem list and there are some options on there, but do you find that just using the rented modem and then using bridge mode is worth it? since comcast makes you pay $10 a month :/ i think if i buy like 60-80 dollar modem(or gateway) right now and get like a 200 dollar router i could use the router in the long run with other ISP's? and is there a link to the specs of the comcast gateway that they are currently renting out to people? 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

My personal preference is to rent from Comcast. As retired folks, retiree pay doesn't go as far as the paycheck my husband got when he was working. For us, it is rental because if I purchased a modem it would be my luck for the modem to quit working and I would not have the money at that time to get a new one. With the rental, I could take the modem to the Comcast office and exchange it.

Yes, you can use a router with other providers in the future if you switch your ISP.

As far as I know, there are no specs for the various modems they rent out. You might be able to find them by searching for a particular manufacturer/model which usually will turn up a link to the manufacturer's web site.

FYI, what modems are given out by Comcast depends on what market area you are in. What is offered in my area may not be used by Comcast in your area. However, you can still purchase any approved modem for use.

The only caveat is don't buy a modem from Ebay. You never know what you will get. People have reported buying a modem for use with Comcast internet, getting the modem and it is a branded Comcast (Xfinity) device. They will not activate those since they are the property of Comcast and those are either unreturned equipment or stolen.

If you do purchase one, you should get it from Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. and it may say Retail on the box. This also makes it easier for you if you have to return it.

And if you have questions about particular modems:

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums and ask about them there.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. For you, that would be Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum, please send me a private message either here or there. My user name at Comcast is the same one as my Bleeping Computer user name.

One more thing. If you currently rent a modem and return it because you purchase your own:

FIRST: Keep the purchase receipt FOREVER. Comcast has been known to add a modem rental fee for customers who have purchased a modem. It takes a combined act of God, Congress and the Pope and a lot of frustration on the customer's part to get them to remove the charge. One of the first things they ask for is your purchase receipt. Makes it less difficult if you have it.

SECOND: Read this RETURNED EQUIPMENT before you give your modem back to Comcast.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 October 2015 - 11:43 PM.

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

Does your ISP not have the option of renting you a regular modem? My modem is included with my cable internet subscription, and it's a regular modem not a modem router combo.

You definitely want a normal modem and your own router. It's just better for a bunch of reasons I could go into.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:50 PM

Does your ISP not have the option of renting you a regular modem? My modem is included with my cable internet subscription, and it's a regular modem not a modem router combo.

You definitely want a normal modem and your own router. It's just better for a bunch of reasons I could go into.

I totally agree. If you want to rent see if they will give you a regular modem. I'm not sure if Comcast still gives these out for rental. What they are now using are the gateways.

That's why I mentioned putting the gateway in bridge mode, which will have to be done if you want to use your own router instead of the gateway wifi.

If you don't have Comcast home phone service, you will be able to buy a regular modem.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:41 AM

Comcast with VOIP uses model simialr to TG862G-CT. Going seperate with those you wan to get a SB6141 8x4 channel bonding versus the 6121 4x4 bonding. A Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk router or a TP-link equivalent. Also, be sure PC's ethernet Network cards are Gigabit and Cat6 Wiring throughout.

#8 cwalker457

cwalker457
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

Comcast with VOIP uses model simialr to TG862G-CT. Going seperate with those you wan to get a SB6141 8x4 channel bonding versus the 6121 4x4 bonding. A Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk router or a TP-link equivalent. Also, be sure PC's ethernet Network cards are Gigabit and Cat6 Wiring throughout.

is there any options for modems that are compatible with comcast voice? the router is something ill look at later since any router works, but the modem, isnt it ISP specific? i looked at the router list on comcast but it only listed it for internet plan speeds, so i dont know if those would be compatible with comcast voice

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

The only model I know of is the TG862G-CT. It's a modem/router/telephony Combination unit. Don't buy used buy NEW. Many places like Amazon people are selling stolen used Comcast equipment. It's better to buy NEW from Bestbuy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfinity-arris-touchstone-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-and-wireless-router-with-telephony-adapter-black/9082028.p?id=1219405801606&skuId=9082028

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

technonymous is correct. Currently the only gateway approved for retail sale for use with Comcast phone service is the Arris TG862G (Retail)

There is another modem for Comcast internet/phone for retail sale but it is not a gateway (modem/router combo). This is the Arris TM722G (Retail)

If you have not already done so, look at this page. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Look to see if Only Retail Devices is checked. If not, check it. It's a list of retail only and includes the 2 for Comcast phone service.

#11 cwalker457

cwalker457
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

technonymous is correct. Currently the only gateway approved for retail sale for use with Comcast phone service is the Arris TG862G (Retail)

There is another modem for Comcast internet/phone for retail sale but it is not a gateway (modem/router combo). This is the Arris TM722G (Retail)

If you have not already done so, look at this page. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Look to see if Only Retail Devices is checked. If not, check it. It's a list of retail only and includes the 2 for Comcast phone service.

i have looke through them and found the one you are talking about, this might be a stupid question but whenever i click on it , it just takes me to the arris webpage , not where i can buy one?

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

It's better to buy NEW from Bestbuy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfinity-arris-touchstone-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-and-wireless-router-with-telephony-adapter-black/9082028.p?id=1219405801606&skuId=9082028

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

The only real reason to buy separate units is because the one supplied by comcast doesn't cover your house in wireless. there is no real benefit otherwise.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users