Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwidth/Data Usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cadeelily74

cadeelily74

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Let me start by saying I am in way over my head with all the computers & gadgets that I own & am getting tired of it all.  My ISP is Xplornet Satellite internet. I have the following devices in my home & would like to get rid of some. Currently connecting to my Linksys WRT1900AC router are:

Windows 7 Desktop
Windows 7 laptop
Windows 7 laptop
Lexmark printer
MYbook live Hard drive
PS3
2- Ipads
Iphone 6
Samsung Galaxy 5s
Macbook Air

I am wanting to keep track of our data usage as I am getting hosed by our ISP each month & need a program that would encompass all these devices so I can see the amount of data that is being consumed by each device for a specific period of time & by what programs. Of course all of the devices are not all used simultaneously.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&safe=strict&site=&source=hp&btnG=Search&q=bandwidth+monitoring+software
I noticed the gauntlet ran from free to fee. [i googled: bandwidth monitoring software -- was looking for a cetain vendor, didn't find yet]

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

It Depends where you are. I.m in the UK and run BT Infinity (Fibre Optic) broadband, which gives me no download and upload limits. Download speed is typically 36 MB/Sec.

It supports 2 Win 7 desktops, 1 Ubuntu desktop, 5 laptops  and a Brother printer.

With this ISP package no data usage monitoring is needed.

Wherever you are Fibre Optic is the way to go.

#4 cadeelily74

cadeelily74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

I am located in Canada.

#5 cadeelily74

cadeelily74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

I am also wondering if there is a program that can be used to monitor the bandwidth usage on the router rather than individual devices.  As I have both windows & apple devices, I am not sure this is possible??

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

It seems the Linksys router has network map feature already to check connected devices and bandwith usage. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/linksys/wrt1900ac/559322/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users