Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XP Pro SP3 Reinstallation CD and COA...........Reformat.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hi I am due to reformat a Dell laptop and reinstall XP for offline use only,

What is on the machine is a buggy virus ravaged XP Home Edition, but I have a Dell XP Pro SP3 Reinstallation disk and COA sticker. If I use this disk will the laptop I am due to reformat  be upgraded to XP Pro ?

I do also have a drivers and applications Disk specific to the machine, for use post OS installation.

Edited by Habesque, 08 October 2015 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

I am not 100% sure this can be done as the SLIC table in BIOS probably is set for XP Home Edition. The XP home disk from dell would have the SLP key that would correspond to the SLIC table. You would probably have to activate by phone or call Microsoft and have them activate. You can try it and see if it works. With the computer that infected I don't think you have much to lose. The safest install would be to use a Dell XP home install disk and use the key found using Produkey. If the recovery partition is still intact you should be able to do a factory reset by tapping F11 at boot.

SLP installations require a master product key issued by each OEM maker, which is unique to the specific edition of Windows, such as Home (XP), Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Server, etc. This SLP key is different from the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to an OEM assembled PC; COA product key is used in cases when Windows license stored is invalidated for some reason and re-activation is required. On February 28, 2005,[1]Microsoft attempted to reduce software piracy by invalidating COA keys for normal online activation and requiring phone activation, but this does not apply to SLP keys which can still be used for offline activation. If the product key used for activation is lost, then product key finders, readily available on the Internet, can decrypt the key from a local installation, however only SLP keys allow the user to avoid activation upon re-installation. [2]

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

I got the disk and the COA to replace Vista Home Edition where the vendor told me it would work for that machine at least, a machine I no longer have. But I will give it a go and see what happens taking note this machine has an AMD processor. Failing that I do also have a genuine MS XP SP3 Home Edition Disk of which I know does work as I have used it a few times on other machines.

The computer is destined for dual booting with Linux Mint Qiana for leisure purposes, the need for XP being Photoshop as I do not get on with Gimp, where I have already investigated disabling the internet in XP....(CMD > ipconfig/release)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users