Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless constantly dropping - please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jakra

jakra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

This is my first post so I’ll try my best to be clear but please be patient with me - I’m a novice. I have a dell inspiron 1545 that runs fine. I have an automatic connection to my wifi at home set up to the laptop, I am running Vista and have a Dell 1397 WLAN 1397 mini-card.  My issue is that my laptop drops the connection every few minutes and especially when I open more than one tab, download or stream videos. I never had problems like this until recently.

When I run diagnostics I have receive the following messages:

(1) “Windows tried a repair but the problem still exists. Cannot communicate with Primary server 208.67.222.222 (or whichever server I use even ISP’s) Reset network adapter.” 

(2) I have also received today “The wireless router/AP for your network is working, but your computer is not able to use an IP address to connect to the Internet. You will not be able to connect to the Internet, although you might be able to connect to your local network. Contact your network administrator or wireless router/AP installer for assistance.” (afterwards I ran ipconfig/all and confirmed that my ip was present and was also in router).

I have tried everything I could think of including powering off and on router, changed router channels, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, released & renewed ip address, changed MAC address,  disabled (then re-enabled) IPV6, ran full system scan for viruses using both Norton(Primary) and Malwarebyte. I am continuously “speed testing my connection” and constantly changing DNS between OpenDNS, GoogleDNS, and my ISP.  I also run CCleaner often so I don’t think I have much junk.  

I saw a  prior post from 2012 which detailed issues similar to mine and the person was instructed to run minitoolbox.exe. I ran minitoolbox.exe today and it comes up with many errors. I am stuck I have no idea what these errors mean or what to do. I am hoping that there may be someone kind enough to take a look at my MTB.txt file?  Please?   I have spent weeks trying to fix the issue.  Right now I am connected .  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

If this Dell has an intel chipset sometimes the drivers can get wonky and the Dell drivers are not the best. Right click your Wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. If an intel chipset the Vendor will be 8086.

Have you tried doing a System Restore to a data before the problem? How long have you been having this problem?

#3 jakra

jakra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi JohnC-

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The first line is  "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_000C1028&REV_01".  I am trying to avoid a system restore. I did a  sfc/scannow earlier today.  There were some repairs that couldn't be made but didn't appear to be anything major- although if I knew that for sure I wouldn't be posting here. I have had the issue for a few weeks and probably messed something up while "tweaking".  My concern is due to the errors that i received in the mtb file.

Thanks again for your reply - 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

Unfortunately, that is a broadcom chipset and the driver is available only through Dell which you have already downloaded and installed.

I found this driver for Vista. Is this the driver version you have installed   Version 5.10.38.26 (Driver), A23?

You can try a couple of things. Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box and Right Click Run as Administrator and type the following commands. Press enter after each.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

See if you get any drops. If you do then download Netadapter Repair and select Advanced Repair.

If you still get drops then I would look at getting a USB dongle like one of these.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

#5 jakra

jakra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi-

Yes Version 5.10.38.26 (Driver), A23 is the driver I have installed. I have tried the netsh winsock reset/netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt commands and reboot several times but I will try again.  If I have any drops I will follow the rest of your recommendations. Thanks very much for your help. And by the way I am configured to receive immediate responses. Do recommend that I change it ? I couldn't find anything in "help" regarding notifications. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

You can leave it. I have mine set to None because I am on the board often.  The Options are available at the top of the screen - Notifications > Options. Next to your login name.

If you are comfortable removing the Wifi card, you could remove and reattach. That may help. Make sure the antenna wires are secure also. Remove your batter and power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Touch some bare metal of the case before removing the card.

#7 jakra

jakra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

JohnC_21-

The link with the NetAdapter Repair tool is fantastic.  I am not sure what if any long term success I will have but it is by far the best comprehensive tool I have found/seen.  Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users