Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports dying slowly?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi there,

I'm a musician and have a laptop, a HP Pavilion G6 running Windows 7 Home Premium which I use for home recording. The laptop is connected to a Lexicon Alpha audio interface. This allows me to play and record bass guitar into the laptop while monitoring sound using external audio monitors or headphones.

One by one each of the three USB ports on my machine have stopped working properly with the Lexicon, at least parlially stopped working. To explain further, when I connect the Lexicon the laptop makes the usual noise it makes when a new peripheral is connected, the Lexicon apperars in the list of devices on the laptop, Windows reports it to be working properly and the blue light on the front lights up to show it is at least recieving power. When I play bass through the Lexicon my DAW gets a signal which I can see moving the gain indicator but no sound comes out either through the headphone socket or the phono outputs. I get the same with Windows Media Player, youTube, Foobar, in fact any sound that comes from the laptop, until I disconnect the Lexicon from the USB port. Then I can hear the sound throught the laptop speakers, so I know there is sound being produced. It's just not getting to the Lexicon.

At first it was only one USB port on which I was having this issue and I was able to connect to one of the other two ports and use the Lexicon as normal but each of the other ports has now gone the same way. The funny thing is all the ports appear to work properly in every other way, that is if I plug in a flash drive I can move files to and from it in the usual way, mobile phones appear, can be charged and I can move files to and from them. The Lexicon works fine on my old desktop but that doesn't have the resources to run the projects I have on my DAW. I tried getting a new cable to but that didn't work. I also installed the correct drivers from Lexicons website. I was fairly certain that wouldn't make any difference seeing as the problem not appeared on all the ports at the same time. I was right.

So what's happening here? Can my ports be half dead? Can they all have stopped working more or less at the same time (bearing in mind I have made a point of always trying to use the same port to connect devices and so minimise wear and tear. It was the most used port that went first but the other two, relatively un used ports have followed in quick succession)?

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. It does look as though the ports are half dead. Is there any way of confirming this before I consider getting the laptop repaired, or replacing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

Do you have a powered USB hub you can use? The USB ports may not be providing enough power.

Download and run USBdeview. Detach the Lexicon and delete any Vendor Specific Devices associated with Lexicon. Reboot

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

Do you have a powered USB hub you can use? The USB ports may not be providing enough power.

Download and run USBdeview. Detach the Lexicon and delete any Vendor Specific Devices associated with Lexicon. Reboot

Hi John, no I don't have a powered hub. THe Lexicon has always worked fine with just the laptop ports. I've been working this way since I got the laptop 4 or 5 years ago. Could the ports suddenly be providing less power than before?

Will have a look at USBdeview. Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

It's possible for the USB ports to become defective. You could try a Y USB cable that attaches to two USB ports to provide additional power. They are available on ebay.

Another thing to try is to disable selective suspend on all USB ports. Did you find any Lexicon devices using USBdeview? If you find any other Vendor Specific devices such as USB flash drives, I would delete those also. Do not delete anything USB keyboard, mouse, printer, or network devices.

Edit: Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager next to any devices?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 October 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#5 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Maybe due to USB Selective Suspend. It's usually enabled but if you disable it your USB ports may become responsive again.. It worked for me on a Win 7 laptop.

To find the USB select suspend setting you must open up the control panel and browse to the following:

• Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\

And then click the blue line titled “Change advanced power settings.” And within this you’ll find  selective suspend under “USB settings.” There are only two options for it: Enabled (default), or Disabled.

image17.png

#6 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:14 AM

THanks for all the helpful replies.

I tried disabling USB Selective Suspend but that didn't make any difference.

I've attached a screenshot of the USBdeview window. The highlighted entries are the ones I think are related to the Lexicon, although there's no mention of Lexicon anywhere. The vendor ID is the same for all the entries and the Lexicon is the only USB audio interface I've ever connected to this machine so I presume it'll be safe to delete these?

Also attached is a screenshot of other entries I think might be ok to delete. I'll wait for further input from you guys before doing anything else.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Attached Files

#7 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

I forgot to mention, there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. The Lexicon appears as USB Audion Device but has no marks and iis Device Status window says it's working properly, latest drivers are installed..

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

In your first image, only delete those items in blue marked safe to delete. The column next to connected can be expanded by placing your cursor on the right vertical split line of the Safe to Delete Column until it changes to a left/right arrow then drag to the right.

In you second image it looks like there are two items you do not want to delete and that is the USB 2 hub and the Samsung Mobile. 

In any case, do not delete anything that says Not Safe to Delete in your items marked blue.

Edit: There are some Vendor IDs I am not sure I would delete. Such as 1210 which is listed as a USB camera for a Samsung.

To better understand your Vendor IDs go to Pcidatabase.com and input the Vendor IDs in the search box. This will give you a better idea of what is being deleted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 October 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#9 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

Ok thanks. Just to clarify so I know what I'm doing, when I right click on the selected items I don't see an option to delete, only enable/disable and uninstall. I presume the option I'm looking for is uninstall?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

That is correct, you want to uninstall. I would not uninstall anything listed as USB Composite Device. Go through your Vendor IDs to make sure it is something you do not want to delete. 1210 is a Camera and 046d seems to be a Logitech Wireless mouse.

#11 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Ok, that seems to have got the sound working properly again. I've yet to try it with my DAW but Windows is making it's usual sounds through my headphones and it seems safe to say my USB ports are still ok so that's a good result. See attached for the new USBdeview screenshot.

I see now there was one entry for the Lexicon I hadn't highlighted on my original screenshot. Here I've highlighted all the entries I can see that appear to relate to the Lexicon...

There are some others further down the screen that have the same vendor id code but as these are listed as USB Composite devices they're probably best left alone.

So is it possible to summarise, without doing too much typing, what happened here and why it waited until now after a few years of trouble free recording?

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Sometimes when attaching multiple different devices to a USB port, a driver for one can conflict with a driver of another. Cleaning out the old drivers of devices no longer used or attached can solve the problem.

I am not sure if I would delete anything related to 1210 unless you made a complete image backup to an external drive first using something like Macrium Reflect Free.

As it stands now, what issues still remain? The Lexicon still does not function? If that is the case is there anything in Control Panel related to Lexicon where you can uninstall the program and then reinstall? I am not familiar with Lexicon but it's possible it installed all those 1210 entries.

#13 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

As it stands now, what issues still remain?

No issues remain. I have just managed to record a bass line to a project I've been trying to work on for the last week and am able to monitor during recording and playback. Everything works as normal, as it did before my USB ports started 'dying'.

You have been most helpful JohnC_21. Many, many thanks to you :-)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

No problem, glad I was able to help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users