Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Problems With Windows Xp Sp-2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Manoj-p

Manoj-p

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:44 AM

Hello,

My system is Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows XP SP-2. I have Macffe Internet suite.

I have the following problems:-

Internet explorer 6.0 will NOT have two windows open. If I click a new window link or a hyperlink the old window just goes off and new window remains. I have been having this problem for some time. I usually correct this by system restore. But after a few days it again comes back.
I am fed-up now.
I am not sure that it is a malware or system problem.

I have done sfc/scannow and all is OK

I have used all spyware and add-ware programmes as required and have come up with problems and resolved them all. I have scanned the computer and have found virus and deleted them also.

But the IE problem still remains.

My computer will NOT do windows / microsoft update. It is as if some thing is preventing it from doing it. Always I get error messages when I try to update. I feel I have all the updates available in the computer (But I want Microsoft to tell me this after scanning my computer)

All the other computer functions seems to be OK

I have the "Hijackthis" log file. IF required I can post it

Please give me suggestions how to fix my problems

Regards

Manoj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

Please try this:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

If the fix on ThorXP's link doesn't work and you think the problem is a result of SP2:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#4 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:41 PM

Can I use IE 7 beta ?

Manoj

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

If you're courageous you can try the IE7 beta (it's still got glitches in it). I'd suggest that you first download and install Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org ). It's free and easy to setup - and this will tell you if it's IE or Windows that's at fault (and you'll still have IE6 on your system)

Once you see if you can connect with Firefox, you can keep it or remove it if you want.

Here's a link to a free program that has an outside chance of fixing the problem. It won't harm your system as all it does is reregister the files needed to run Windows Update. It's called DialAFix and is available here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Then we can get down to some hardcore troubleshooting and fix IE for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Check the following to make sure it isn't a setting in IE causing this:

Click on "tools" then "internet options", then click the "Advanced" tab"

Scroll down to make sure that "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" is not checked.

What virus did you remove, how did you remove it, and are you sure it is gone?

#7 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

i use ie 7 and have no problems out of it

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

My IE7 crashes constantly (but I'm running it in Vista) - the version for XP may be a bit different.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

aww that's what i hate about IE, thats why i use firefox

#10 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

I use IE 7beta and have no problems here or on the great www.... I just came here using my F.F. and everytime I tried to post up came the log in window and after logging in again the post window only showed the smilies and all else was light blue. Now I am back using IE 7 beta with no problem. Guess we all have different feelings about M$ and IE. Oh yes I use IE 6.0 on both my SP 1 XP machines and no problems there. No Fear on the great www. But then I jumped from perfectly good airplanes back when. Life is a chance. Take one! lol

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:01 AM

You already are taking a huge chance by operating unpatched SP1 systems on the internet as well as making everyone in your address unknowingly take the chance with you.

SP2 involved a myriad critical security updates which are essential if you are exposing your system to the internet.

(I wouldn't want to be in your address book!)

#12 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:48 AM

Hummmmmmmmm unhatched, you said that not me. And I have only used both to go online to update utilities and patch the OS and browser.
Plus my CD with SP 2 arrived today from M$. So the laptop will get it first as I tried twice before to put SP 2 on the 2001 XP SP 1 desktop. So not wanting to re-install and do 4 years of updates (i have some back ups BUT from different utilities I have tried over the years) I just went out and bought a new HP Media Edition with SP 2.
I might buy the SP 2 OS for the older machine but fear that to won't work on the old beast.

Security is the most important thing anyone can learn using a PC and I believe before they sell a newbie one he/she must take a class or two in security issues. But that is just IMHO.
Gee about the address you being gin my address book. Not a problem. I have very few contacts anyway. Mostly newsletters and utilities and support/tech help. The few family and friends I have don't use a PC.
I need to learn a lot but 2 just let the machines set there is less than bright also. And how do you know that I haven't changed my start page of the browsers on these 2 machines so as to avoid just what you suggest. And F.F. is set to the old board I use to go to. I consider others. U know the golden rule thingy!

What about something else you could get some thingy out there and infect everyone in your addy book just because a patch isn't yet released or you go to sites I would never think of going to.. U do go to other sites, D/L or perhaps use a p2p or have an Messenger application. Any comment to that? Gosh I'm relieved I am not in your addy book. lol

Edited by mlurp, 23 July 2006 - 02:44 AM.

#13 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

WEll,

I am using Firefox and Netscape. Both seem Ok till now.

I still have not tried any repair work on IE.

Manoj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users