Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Budget PC for Art and Some Games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KaseyMow

KaseyMow

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:08 AM

Hi everybody. Just as the title says, I'm considering building a computer for someone for Christmas. I built my own PC maybe 8 months ago, but I went for pretty top dollar (as far as I'm concerned) gaming equipment. She just needs something that can handle some games and do digital art stuff. I'm pretty clueless as to what resources digital art takes on a PC, but I know it can't be as bad as editing huge video files or anything. This wouldn't be a computer that needs to run Witcher 3 at it's highest settings or anything. Any thoughts or advice? Directions I should go? I did a kind of mock up on Newegg just thinking of a cheaper version of mine... It was still around $1000. I would like to spend around $400-500 on this project. But the longer I look at it, the more I think buying a piece of Best Buy's junk would be the better option. I'm not to sure. My intent was to build a better PC for less than Best Buy could offer, but I'm not sure.

Let me know if you've got any experience with digital art and the resources/PC parts required for it.

Thanks,

KC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:23 AM

When you say art, what kind of art will be done?  Will it be rendered 3D models? 

3939.png

#3 KaseyMow

KaseyMow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

When you say art, what kind of art will be done?  Will it be rendered 3D models? 

Not fancy models of 3D sculptures or anything, no. Sadly I'm not much of an artist, but I can say it's mostly 2D and done with a tablet. If that helps.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Whenever I have tried to price out a custom build for that amount of money I always find that the custom build price can't compete, because the pre-built's price is lower due to bulk pricing, lower quality parts, and not having to pay $100 for windows. So yeah, I think people that only want to spend that much are probably better off buying a new store PC every 2 or 3 years since they can't afford to build a sweet upgrade-able rig that will last for 6 years. And when you try to do a custom build for the same lower price, you trim and trim till the custom build is just kind of sad and not solid, so what's the point in doing a custom build at that point.

Edited by sparklestar, 08 October 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

If you are looking for a retail cheepie computer, you are better off looking at Newegg.com; you will probably save money, and will have a 30 day return/exchange policy. Remember....you will have an hour (or more) of removing all the junkware that comes with these retail jobs before they start performing properly.

Also.....don't underestimate the resources that Photoshop and other photo editing and Draw software can take, plus storage space. Look for a minimum of 8 gigs of RAM if she is going to do any half-serious work.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

The main issue with building a low budget system is the cost of the operating system, assuming Windows is required.  Big OEM's can more or less give it away for free.  If they can use Linux, or own a retail copy already they can transfer then it's not an issue of course...

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 KaseyMow

KaseyMow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thank you all. Sparklestar makes some great points. Maybe I should just check around Newegg and find something worth 8 gigs of ram and a decent processor. Wonder if I could find any that come with photoshop? Thank you all very much!

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Consider also purchasing at least one external [I have platter-clatter ones] HD if not two; purchase either Acronis True Image or go with Macrium Reflect Pro [I bought pro because of its WinPE-Macrcium USB/DVD boot support]; make it a habit to once-twice-thrice monthly backup your OS and data partitions via images.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users