Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Sound Activated Lights...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mr. BIGTACO

mr. BIGTACO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

Basically I wanted to connect a sound activated light to my computer. I found one at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800888072) for pretty cheap, but I can't figure out how I would go about connecting it to my computer. I can't tell by loking at the pictures of the cords and of the light. It says the input connector is a Molex 4pin connector with pass-through, but to be honest I have no idea what the hell that means. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similiar product? I'm pretty much set on getting one, not necessarily this brand, but one that costs under 20 dollars. Are these things hard to install? Can I set it up so that the light itself would be outside of the computer case? What does the molex 4pin connector plug into?

Thanks for any help. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

The molex connector is how it plugs into the power supply and pass through means you can still connect another device - it just taps off the 12V power supply lead and you still have a connector available - like Christmas tree lights plug into each other so you can have multiple strings.

Make sure you aren't exceeding the capacity of the power supply.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:11 AM

What you do is mount this in your case and then tap in to one of the 12v lines coming from your powersupply. I would suggest tapping into one that would have a fan connected to it instead of the ones running to the drives... What you would do is disconnect the fan from the rail then plug in the light and then plug the fan back into the light. For the sound activation part I am pretty sure it has some kind of little microphone of some sort that picks up the vibrations and transmits it by light. I am not an expert but I am pretty sure this is what it is.

Hope This Helps
Klink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users