Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives and Raid configuration...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bug911

Bug911

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

I am operating Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. My main drive is SSD, I keep everything on there except photos, files, and anything I want backed up. I am purchasing two 1TB HDD for backup, my plan is to have these two HDDs mirror each other. Their only purpose is to backup my information not to run anything from them.

Is there a RAID configuration I can setup with those two HDDs without having to attach my SSD, RAID 1? Or should I not bother and just drag/drop to both HDDs separately?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hello, and welcome to BC

Personally, I would avoid RAID for personal use. It just causes issues when trying to diagnose problems or recover data from a failing drive. I would drag/drop to the other drive or use something like Aoemi backupper standard free to create regular backups to one of the TB drives. You could also use a sync program like Free File Sync if you want to sync one drive to the other.

You could also use Aoemi to create disk images of your SSD and back it up to one of the TB drives. 

RAID 1 RAID 1 writes and reads the same data to pairs of drives; it’s also referred to as mirroring. The drives are equal partners—should either fail, you can continue working with the good one until you can replace the bad one. RAID 1 is the simplest, easiest method to create failover disk storage. However, it costs you a whopping 50 percent of your total available drive capacity; for example, two 1TB drives in a mirrored array nets you only 1TB of usable space, not 2TB.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194360/raid-made-easy.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558811/is-raid-worth-the-hassle/

#3 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

To run an SSD and an array is fairly easy.

Set SATA ports (usually 1-4) to raid and connect only the SSD (to port #1) and install OS. Raid and AHCI act the same way to a SSD.

After install shut down, install/connect HDDs, restart and build the array. When you build an array you dictate which drives are used and how.

Finish by redirecting folder locations and you're done.

I've never been a fan of backup utilities myself, I'm old school and prefer to do it myself. This way I never have to wonder if things are done to my liking lol.

If you would like info on the how-to configure an array just give a shout.

And yes I use to do as you are asking about. At that time it was all I needed and worked great. Never any issues and fairly simple. Just not the most efficient method as JohnC-21 mentioned but it may depend on exactly what you are comfortable doing too.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users