Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning and migration from system HDD parrallel ATA IDE to SSD SATA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

I experienced difficulties: I would like to migrate my system HDD to a SSD Samsung 850 Pro.

Cloning seems to be OK (Whathever was the cloning software used) and after cloning, the SSD is usable as a data disk. But it was impossible to start the system from it !

When I tried to start from it, the BIOS returned the following message: "NTLDR missing"

Maybe the problem could be in the fact that my system HDD was connected to old parallel ATA IDE connector while the new SSD is on a SATA connection?

My configuration: Windows 10 32 bits

What about this issue?

Thanks for help.

Edited by patchfree, 07 October 2015 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

The SSD drive must be set to Primary and be set to Active.  The old HD has to become nonActive and would be best set to Logical.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 October 2015 - 01:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Is this required if I have deconnected the old HDD?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

I think the SSD still must be set to Primary, and set to Active; because the cloning did not do what a Windows install would have done:  set Primary and set Active the drive or partition the Windows was installed on.  I think Windows' diskmanager will do both settings.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 October 2015 - 02:09 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks very much. I'll try that.

#6 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

I have set the SSD "active" but now the same difficulty: no start from the SSD. The message is a slighly different:

error 0xc000000e

file missing: windows\system32\winload.exe

A question in relation with the setting "Primary": how to make this? And second question: is it necessary to format the SSD before cloning my old HDD on it?

Find an attached picture of the different disks on my system: the disk C is the old HDD and E is the SSD. (Sorry in french)

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by patchfree, 07 October 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#7 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

No response to my new message?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

"NTLDR missing" is an error that XP gives when it's loader is missing. I am not sure why you got this on the SSD that was cloned. From your image, it looks like you have 3 active disks. You can only have one active disk, the one that boots. Your SSD error seems to indicate that Winload is present on one of your other disks, most likely C:. Your Active Partition should be set as Primary. Which disk do you want to set as primary.

You can use Partition Wizard to set a disk as inactive.

On Windows 7 and later there is a System Reserved Partition.  I don't see it in your image but it is not necessary to have it in order to boot. Does any of your partitions show as having Boot?

If I was cloning a drive, I would clone the drive but before booting detach the HDD drive. Boot the SSD. Shutdown. Attach the HDD then remove the active flag from the HDD using a bootable version of Partition Wizard.

Was Windows 10 on the HDD you are cloning? If it was then the partitions shown on C: do not look correct. You should have the 100MB System Reserved Partition.

61165d1268750490-system-reserved-partiti

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

John_C21 beat me to this topic and gave excellent advice, patchfree, go ahead and follow step by step what he posted, you cannot go wrong!  I just got home and saw this latest John_C21 post.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 October 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#10 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Thanks very much guys!

I'll try the steps proposed by John-C21.

But I need some time to proceed with this.

At this time I would like to say that I have C: as my system disk, bootable, with win 10 (32 bits).

My way to clone was as follows: I attached my new SSD (directly from the box of the manufacturer) to a sata connector inside my PC (the SSD appeared as E because I have an another HDD - as D: - for my data, I booted normally from C: and then with a cloning software I cloned the C: on E:, then I shutdown, detached the disk C: and then reboot from the SSD but I got the error message..

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

You could also do it as follows. Create a complete disk image of your HDD using Aoemi backupper Standard or Macrium Free. Create the bootable disk each program provides. Detach the HDD and install your SSD. Boot the recovery disk and restore the disk image to the SSD. You would need an external drive to accomplish this method.

Aoemi Backupper and Macrium Free also provide good cloning capabilities. Just remember that after you do the clone, shutdown the computer and then detach your HDD. Boot the SSD by itself and you should have a SSD that boots with the letter C:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users