Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC sometimes hangs during startup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xmaciek82x

xmaciek82x

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hey everyone, I recently decided to upgrade my PC. I purchased an ASUS M5A97 R.20 MB, 8GB Ballistix Crucial Memory, AMD FX-6300 cpu. I reused a newer 550w PSU I purchased back in 2011, 9800GTX+ video card and a Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

My issue is that the PC doesn't always boot. Meaning if I restart it, I gets past POST/bios then a black screen.... nothing... Then I hit the restart button again and same, everything boots just fine past the POST/bios but when you would expect to see the Windows loading screen, again nothing black screen. SO again, I hit the reboot button and everything boots just fine and the PC works great. 

Sometimes the PC boots up just fine multiple times in a row without any issues....

Any idea what to look for? This happens with stock bios settings and modified bios setting. I updated the bios to newest version, same results. Tried using only 1 mem stick to see if RAM is the culprit, same result. I upgraded the firmware on SSD, same results. Reinstalled windows 7 again, same results. I have no idea what to troubleshoot next. I can probably get a replacement MB, but I have a feeling I'll get the same results with the new one. Any ideas/advice would be great.

Here is the PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

I had someone recommend disabling cpu virtualization so I'll try that when I get home later tonight.  Besides that, anyone else has any suggestions?

I have theory that it might be my PSU.  I know it has sufficient WATTS but the currant on +12v is lower then most newer PSU.  Seems like PSU these days have around 40A while mine outputs 22A.  I would hate to spend additional $$ on just a theory though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Are you running the same programs on this computer that were on the older computer?  Once in awhile, an older program causes grief during Startup process.  Also, there might be a video clash early on.  Consider downloading and using Bleepingcomputer's MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy.  Know where the results logs are, the seasoned BC techs will advise how & what to publish.  They won't steer you wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 xmaciek82x

xmaciek82x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Are you running the same programs on this computer that were on the older computer?  Once in awhile, an older program causes grief during Startup process.  Also, there might be a video clash early on.  Consider downloading and using Bleepingcomputer's MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy.  Know where the results logs are, the seasoned BC techs will advise how & what to publish.  They won't steer you wrong.

Nope. Newly installed windows 7 (twice now).  Even with no additional apps, the PC still randomly hangs at start up. I'll start reading about Bleepingcomputer's MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy and hopefully can get some logs to share.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Hi, what are the current BIOS, chipset, AHCI and video driver versions installed?

Tekken

#5 xmaciek82x

xmaciek82x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hi, what are the current BIOS, chipset, AHCI and video driver versions installed?

Hi, all the newest versions.  Took the newest bios, sata and chipset available from Asus and updated everything 2 days ago.  I installed the newest video driver available from NVidia directly.  If you are asking for specific versions, I can get them tomorrow.  I highly doubt it is software related.  This occurs even when I didn't have an OS installed. The black screen also showed up when the SSD was clean and I was just trying to boot my usb stick to install windows. After couple reboot, I was able to boot into my usb and install windows. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

Seems like PSU these days have around 40A while mine outputs 22A.  I would hate to spend additional $$ on just a theory though.

The videocard needs 141 watts +/- according to Nvidia power requirements. @ 22A X 12 V = 264 watts http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm

Check the 6 pin connector is fully seated by the graphics card. We cannot rule out the PSU at this point as using a different known brand compatible with your hardware setup is worth trying. It seems part of systematic symptoms points to a 1. power supply, 2. Video Card, 3. Cable connection or Loose needs reseatting including the CPU to heatsink, 4. Motherboard, 5. Hard drive (controller/compatibility), 6. Memory or even software.

Tekken

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

2 possible ways to check the PSU:

- remove some unneeded components to reduce the load on the PSU.  Then see if the problem gets better or not

- purchase a larger PSU from a shop that will give you your money back if you return it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 xmaciek82x

xmaciek82x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

Seems like PSU these days have around 40A while mine outputs 22A.  I would hate to spend additional $$ on just a theory though.

The videocard needs 141 watts +/- according to Nvidia power requirements. @ 22A X 12 V = 264 watts http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm

Check the 6 pin connector is fully seated by the graphics card. We cannot rule out the PSU at this point as using a different known brand compatible with your hardware setup is worth trying. It seems part of systematic symptoms points to a 1. power supply, 2. Video Card, 3. Cable connection or Loose needs reseatting including the CPU to heatsink, 4. Motherboard, 5. Hard drive (controller/compatibility), 6. Memory or even software.

2 possible ways to check the PSU:

- remove some unneeded components to reduce the load on the PSU.  Then see if the problem gets better or not

- purchase a larger PSU from a shop that will give you your money back if you return it.

Thanks to both of you.  Sorry been pretty busy lately and had zero issues to troubleshoot further.  So far after every reboot PC started up.

Next time I get an issue I will reseat the graphics card plug.  I see there is a different port (2 total) on the PSU for SLI setup.  I might switch to that one to rule out a bad PSU port for the 6pin plug. 

I really doubt it is a CPU heat issue,  I play video games and all fans kick in.  If PC was overheating then it would have crashed during video games.  This is only on boot up process....  which now that I think about it  throws my insufficient PSU theory out the window....

As far as reducing the PSU load...  I had CPU, HD, RAM and GPU only hooked up and same issue.  Can't reduce more then that, right?  Since MB was bought on AMAZON, they are pretty good with returns.  I might switch out motherboard to rule that out first?  When I originally spoke to Asus, they weren't able to help me but suggested I talk to AMAZON and get a new motherboard.

Thanks again everyone.  I'll update this thread once I have new information.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

This is only on boot up process....  which now that I think about it  throws my insufficient PSU theory out the window....

That could very well be a PSU problem if these carried out to be more frequent.

Tekken

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:59 AM

You're right, you can't remove more stuff than you already have.

Trying a new motherboard would be a good thing if it doesn't cost you any money.

It will take time to swap it out - and that introduces a whole new spectrum of possible errors, so proceed with care.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 xmaciek82x

xmaciek82x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Just  to give everyone an update, it was the motherboard.  Since my 30 day return was running out, I decided to exchange it before I invest additional money in a PSU or Graphics card.  Put everything back together this afternoon and PC starts up without any issues.  Thanks everyone for the help.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:01 AM

Glad to hear you got everything well planned out with the RMA and thank you also for coming back with the positive results xmaciek82x. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:52 AM

Glad to hear it works now!

Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users