Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual (as Opposed to Automatic) Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

I've had Windows Update disabled on my new Win 8.1 64 bit computer (bought in March) because I got tired of Microsoft making changes to my setup without permission.  But I don't want to be stupid about cyber-security either. 

Is there a way to manually update only those patches critical to security without downloading all the "Bill-approved" flotsam that comes along with it -- and if so, how do I differentiate between the two?

For the record, I use Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hi zombiewhacker :)

It's possible to change your Windows Update settings to "Check for updates, but let me decide when to download and install them". On top of that, I would uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way you give me important updates". With these two options set, you'll be able to review every single updates before installing them. Important Updates are usually security updates for the Windows OS and other Microsoft products, so I strongly suggest you to install them. They usually start by "Security Update for...". If you want to learn more about the updates you are going to install, all of them have a little "Read more" option you can click and it'll bring you on their KB article on Microsoft's website.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Set Windows Updates to notify you of updates, allow you to download and install the ones you want.

Short of daily use of a batchfile that does a WU off [via a VBS script], WU On, WU process, there is no guarantee, only daily vigilance.  I say that because certain programs will reset WU to automatically download, install any/all updates.

Aura and I typed/posted at the same time  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 07 October 2015 - 01:48 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Aura and I typed/posted at the same time :)

On all the forums I've ever been on, I always ended up being the fastest typer somehow :P

I also took a screenshot of what your Windows Update settings should look like.

A9A0jYr.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

Thanks to both.  If I want to undo updates, will System Restore do the trick, or are updates set in stone? 

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Windows Updates has a history section where one can find and uninstall almost all updates.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

You can uninstall your updates by clicking on the View installed updates button (in the bottom-left corner of the Windows Update panel), or by following the instructions below and replace $NUMBER$ with the KB number (without the KB letters).

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    wusa /uninstall /KB:$NUMBER
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;

unite_blue.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

See which Windows updates are installed

How to Remove an update in Windows 8
How to Uninstall a Windows Update in Windows 7/8
How to Uninstall Windows Update from Console Level in Windows 7/8
How to Remove an update in Windows 7
How to Remove an update in Vista
Troubleshoot problems with removing updates
How to Uninstall Windows Update via command line
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

And for future reference: can Malware ever masquerade as a recommended security patch download within the Windows Update screen? 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

It happened only once with the Flame malware, but that was a few years ago and even there it had its flaws.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/06/flame-malware-hijacks-windows-update-to-propogate/

So while it's possible, it's highly unprobable or it'll fail so "no" would be my answer.

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

More likely to encounter a fake Windows update popup screen offering a fake update.

#12 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks.  One more question, if I may: which would you identify as the most critical 8.1 security patches to download if you'd purchased a new PC within the past year?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

which would you identify as the most critical 8.1 security patches to download if you'd purchased a new PC within the past year?

It's impossible to answer that questions, because we cannot list all of them by heart, and also every single security updates are important to the Windows OS. If you want, you can review every single Security Bulletin since the release of Windows 8.1, and install the updates that address vulnerabilities rated as "Critical", but you should still install every security updates for the security of your OS and yours.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

I agree with Aura..."you should still install every security updates for the security of your OS".

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

While this thread is about 8.1 the page that you would normally look up updates has been removed at Microsoft for win 10.

So if your missing some updates for win10 like I was you can no longer go look them up and install them manually.

I will say since curing my updates problem Windows update does seem to be catching up but then I really have no way of knowing since the update history was cleaned out during my troubles and a few members were saying there had been over a 100 updates since win 10 came out.  I do not remember if the ones who mentioned that were using the free upgrade or not.

I had been meaning to post that info but been busy with other problems more pressing for me.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users