Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 C:\Temp

C:\Temp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

Could anyone confirm if the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free edition is compatible with the Windows version of my internet browser of choice, the Epic privacy browser?

My feeling is that it is compatible since the Epic privacy browser uses Chromium sorce code, but I thought that I would get confirmation from users with real world data.

Also, does Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016 offer the same type of malware protection, or is it a good idea to use both, which I originally plan on doing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hi there,

From here, MBAE Free only protects the 4 most common browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera) and you can't add any other programs in. So Epic is not protected by MBAE Free, you need the paid version for that.

BitDefender Antivirus Plus does not offer antiexploit protection from what I know, so it is not a bad idea to use an antiexploit application with BitDefender.

#3 C:\Temp

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hi there,From here, MBAE Free only protects the 4 most common browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera) and you can't add any other programs in. So Epic is not protected by MBAE Free, you need the paid version for that.BitDefender Antivirus Plus does not offer antiexploit protection from what I know, so it is not a bad idea to use an antiexploit application with BitDefender.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to go with the pay verison if I want protection with Epic browser. Bitdefender is up there on the spec side limitations for my new computer cpu specs.

I bought an HP Pavilion 300-020, primarily for internet browsing and You Tube, but I think I'm within the limits so Bitdefender shouldn't slow anything down.

Bitdefender website advises that the software requires a minimum dual core 1.6 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram. My computer operating on Windows 10, has a Intel Pentium processor 3558U, 1.7 GHz processor with 2mb of cache, with 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM, so I don't my system will have any problems running a program like Bitdefender Internet Security while simultaneously browsing the internet and You Tube use.

Edited by C:\Temp, 07 October 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

If I may... have you considered other antivirus software? Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also an effective antivirus and antimalware, pretty lightweight and incorporates BitDefender scanning technology with inhouse tech.

#5 C:\Temp

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

If I may... have you considered other antivirus software? Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also an effective antivirus and antimalware, pretty lightweight and incorporates BitDefender scanning technology with inhouse tech.

Sure have!. I also considered going with Kaspersky Internet Security which I was suppose to get a 6 month trail through Best Buy, but never received a digital download code. I'm going to call them in a few, but I understand that Kaspersky is lightweight as well, only requiring 1 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram. Since Kaspersky consistently ranks on par with Bitdefender, and provided that I do indeed, get the free 6 month trail, why not give it a try!.  

I never heard of Emisoft, I will have to research them!.  

Edited by C:\Temp, 07 October 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

I've used Emsisoft Anti-Malware on three computers for some time now.  After some tweaking of the settings, it moved from mild-annoyance at the beginning to running smooth & getting along with all security programs since the early-diddling days.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 C:\Temp

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

I've used Emsisoft Anti-Malware on three computers for some time now.  After some tweaking of the settings, it moved from mild-annoyance at the beginning to running smooth & getting along with all security programs since the early-diddling days.

Thanks. I'll do some research on it. I just spoke with customer service at Bitdefender, they advised me that since my processor is a Intel Pentium processor 3558U 1.7 GHz processor with 2mb of cache, and I have 4 GB of ram, Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 should run fine and at normal speeds. I will also upgrade to 16 GB of ram at a later date, so again I don't think I'll have any issues.   

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 C:\Temp

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Thank you for that link. Lot's of great information!. 

Well I went to Best Buy and they did indeed give me Kaspersky Internet Security for 6 months!, So I'll use this program for my antivirus software, and I'll do some further research on the recommendations in your links.   

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif