Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS records - two domains, one hosting and a wordpress template.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qntn

qntn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Hi Folks, 

There is this situation where I want to setup a new domain where the data is hosted on an existing hosting package under another domain.

I'am not sure if I violate any rules so correct me if I do anything wrong :)

The whole situation

I own a simple website let's call it  www.mywebsite.com for now, existing from a domain name and a webhosting package (webspace, bandwith etc). 

Here I created a subdomain www.product.mywebsite.com running a wordpress template. 

I recently bought another domain (let's call this www.product.com for now) with the idea to link this domain with the sub-domain.

If it's possible I want to replace  www.product.mywebsite.com with www.product.com but if this is not possible through some change in the DNS, I want to forward it.

What I did

In the settings of the domain www.product.com I added the following records:

Name: *  TTL: 1 min  Type: A Value: same IP as www.mywebsite.com

Name: @  TTL: 1 min  Type: A Value: same IP as www.mywebsite.com

Name: WWW TTL: 1 min  Type: CNAME Value: www.product.mywebsite.com.

If I send a ping to www.products.com I see it redirects me to the ip of www.mywebsite.com. (* note that without the www. it does not redirects me)

If I go to www.products.com, i get some automatic generated message from the Hosting company saying "this domain is reserved"

I'am aware that any changes made in the DNS records can take up to 48 hours to work. 

1) What do I have to configure to make this work?

There is also an option in wordpress, changing the websites URL. 

There are two URL fields, one for the destination the user gives and one for the location of wordpress (both currently:www.product.mywebsite.com ).

2) Is it possible to only change te first field to www.product.com? 

I don't want to "try on error" this option since I don't want to mess up the wordpress site.

I searched the internet for some solutions but I couldn't find any overlapping scenarios.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

- QNTN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hello qntn,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I will answer the first part of your question based on my current web hosting offerings:

You already own www.mywebsite.com with a webhosting package.

You have now purchased www.product.mywebsite.com

My Question to you:

When you purchased the newest named product.website.com were you logged into the dashboard of the existing one you already own 

If yes then the 2 domain names should be part and parcel of your existing hosting.

That being said you should be able to allocate web space for your new .,com there in the same dashboard. (Very convenient)

To reiterate:

You currently own mywebsite.com

then whilst logged into your dashboard you buy product.website.com

then for examples sake you buy productone.com

and producttwo.com

and productthree.com

and widget.com

and say you purchase computerguruninja.com

You see what I mean in that you have more than one domain name.

It should be as straightforward as creating a folder in your hosting under your public html folder named the one you just purchased. 

Once the Domain Name Server is set to point to your ip addess it will land in that folder.

If you have a WordPpress installation there, that is what the websurfer will be presented with.

You may find that your hosting provider has set a limit on the number of such installations that you can have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users