Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Search the web and Windows' box stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

Clicking on this box does nothing now - how to fix this please.

I have altered the Start menu to Win 7 style but that box has worked since.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Does it work if you switch it back?

What did you use to switch to Win 7 style?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for responding.

I used the Classic Shell program to change it. I tried to switch back using this advice from Geeks2Go on its use:-

"all you need to do is click on the entry at the very top of the Windows 7 Classic Shell menu labeled “Start Menu (Windows)”....  and it kicks you immediately (and temporarily) into the true Windows 10 Start Menu."

But even this did nothing!

When I click on the Search the web... box it lightens up a little but I cannot write in it.

Edited by zzzz, 07 October 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Run Search diagnostics by

Press Windows + X

Click on Control Panel

Under Security and Maintenance, click on Find and fix problems

On the left side, click on View all

Click on Search and Indexing, and follow the onscreen instructions and let it fix Search

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Now after trouble with 'Cortana and Menu aren't working' and solving that by uninstalling Avast free, the 'Search the web... ' is now working!

So for the moment all is OK.  Thanks to all responders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users