Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Tutorial on Installing XP on Win 10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alanem

alanem

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hello

Is there a tutorial on installing Windows XP on my new Lenovo G510 using Windows 10.

I want to run some old and well used programs.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

Are you talking about installing XP into a Virtual Machine on W10?

If so, try this:  http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry but I'm no further forward.   Unfortunately I don't know what I need hence the request for a tutorial.  I am not clear if it has to be dual boot, virtual machine or what.  What ever is straight forward. I just want to be able to run some old XP programs on Win 10.  Sorry if I'm being thick.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

alanem, you'd be better off specifying which programs.  I'm an XP user and excepting my onscreen recorder program, all my XP stuff works in Win10.  I installed DOS Lotus 1-2-3, Smart Suite 9.8.2, DOS Multimate Advantage II, even used Plus! to change the font faces in Win10 (which is the only way you can do that).

You can't really dual-boot with XP after the fact.  You'd have to bare-metal install XP first, then correct the drivers, then once it's working okay, partition your drive;  then go buy Win10 and install it to the other partition.  If you try to install XP atop Win10, it will wipe out Win10, assuming it can even install.  XP needs to be the first in a multi-boot system, unless Win98 is on there first.

Edited by brainout, 07 October 2015 - 03:53 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:30 AM

It depends on what programs and what sort of performance that you're looking for from the XP programs

Also, it depends on what the specifications of your system are.

I use virtual machines for testing things that I'm doing or suggesting to others.  But I really don't care how fast they work.

You can adjust the performance of the virtual machine somewhat (by allocating more resources to it).

Another option is to try running the program in W10 using Compatibility mode:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

FInally, you can dual boot.  This means that you'll have a choice when you turn the machine on - and you can pick (in this case) either XP or W10.

The downside here would be finding XP drivers for this system, and not being able to switch OS's without rebooting the system.

Tell us what the program is and what the specs of your system are and we can make recommendations based on that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Many thanks to all for your time and interest.  The program is a 1998 simple bookkeeping system called Money Matters which I use for my home finances...bank, credit cards. bills etc.  I have been using it about 2 times per month so have many files which I refer back to and I can't transfer them to another program.   It's size is 12Mb.  Regarding the spec of my system would the report from Bellarc advisor be suitable or do you have something else in mind?  Thanks again..I'm most grateful

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

alanem,

Have you even tried just installing it and running it under Win10?   I have scads of programs that I've been carrying along since WinXP all the way up to Win10 and have yet to have any of them fail to run.  I'm not even generally using any compatibility mode.

I presume this is the software from Crown and, if so, they are still producing updated versions now under the name Money Map rather than Money Matters.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hi and thanks for that.  It definitely won't run on Win 10.  I've tried it and had it confirmed by Avanquest the software manufacturer.  So my options are limited which is a shame.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

alanem, then your next option is to seek another XP machine, because you won't have good results installing XP after Win10, even if you create a separate partition for it.

Now, you can go to Amazon or Ebay and find XP Pro 32-bit machines for $100 which have 4 GB RAM, an i5 and a decent hard drive, or else Core 2 Duo.  I got a Win7 at that price with those specs, a Dell Latitude D630, which can also run Win10.  But XP first would be on it.

Or you can buy a retail XP and install it, but not on the machine you have.  Do you have any old laptops?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

alanem,

Did they tell you whether it would run on any version of Windows after XP?  Brainout's idea is a good one, and probably the only practical one, but if this software will run under Win7 I'd definitely go the route of getting a used Win7 machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

The software people are saying NO on Win 7,8,10 and MAYBE on Vista and SHOULD on XP.   Good Grief  how's that for commitment it was designed for XP and I've been using it for years.  I'm going to scrounge an old XP notebook and just use it for this program with loads of back ups.   Or I might just stop spending money all together then I won't need it anyway!!!   Thanks to all for the good stuff.  Alan

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:20 AM

If it was just running some old programs then I would suggest the route of virtual machine. This way it is available every time you need it without the hassle of dual booting, and you don't have to worry about getting another machine.

Finding XP isos for installation can be tricky, though. I don't know of any official source, and I'd rather not pointing people to dubious sources that might end up infecting their machines.

#13 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:47 AM

I have an old XP installation disc but I must admit to being confused about all the conflicting and confusing advice about installing a virtual machine and as I asked in my original question....Is there a tutorial?

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

Here is a guide for creating virtual machines with Oracle VirtualBox, and also how to install an OS in it.

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to find yourself an alternative to Money Matters (maybe even a free one) that would work on Windows 10?

Edited by Phantom010, 14 October 2015 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users