Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE video card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BTC

BTC

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE video card that I need to replace for windows 10 compatibility.

The current card has a PCI express 1.0 interface.

I am looking for a very inexpensive solution as this is an old computer.

Is a PCIe 2.1 x16 compatible?

If not what exactly do I need to look for to make sure it is compatible?

Thanks for any guidance.

Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:47 AM

Compatibility is hard to guarantee, but I'm using a couple of AMD PCIe 3.0 x16 cards in a PCIe1 slots (I believe one board is 1.0 the other 1.1, cards are Sapphire HD7770's)

Edited by rqt, 06 October 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Yes the PCIe standards are backward and forward compatible - i.e. plugging a PCIe 2.1 card into a PCIe 1.0 slot should work, and vice versa.  In both cases, the connection speed is limited by the slowest part, and will be at the PCIe 1.0 speed (4 GB/s), rather than PCIe 2.1 speed (8 GB/s).  This is not a problem.

I do agree there is no guarantee of compatibility - there can be unexpected problems occasionally, but for the most part it does work.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 CFinIndy

CFinIndy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Glad to find this post.  I have the same Nvidia card, and the same Win 10 compatibility issue.  Dell XPS410, Intel Core2 6300@1.86 GHz. 4GB RAM 64-bit.  What card did you settle on, BTC? Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users