Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Failure?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 fySloppy

fySloppy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

Good Day All,

I've got my computer with me for about 2 years now and have recently been experiencing some problem which i think might be due to my graphic card (but i could be wrong).

Occasionally when i start up my computer my monitor would show no signal even after I hear a beep sound to indicate that my computer have booted up normally. This problem can be "fixed" by plugging out the VGA cable which is connected to my video card port and connecting it to my onboard graphic card. However this will only allow me to use my onboard graphic card and not my external graphic card. When I enter device manager with my onboard graphic card, I will notice that my external graphic card is not under the display adapters tab even when I tick show hidden devices.

In order to get my computer to use my graphic card, I would have to restart my system a couple of time with my VGA cable plugged into my external graphic card port. When my computer is 'using' my external graphic card, in device manager I am able to see my external graphic card name but not my onboard graphic card name (which I find it quite strange). Under some load, e.g. Playing games like League of Legends, I will suddenly experience sharp drop in FPS and my computer will freeze. After a couple of seconds my monitor will black-out showing no Signal detected. At this point I have to force shutdown my computer.

Just only today when I was playing, I experienced something new which is some purple lines on my screen and my computer auto restarted after that. I would also like to add on that I do receive BSOD but happens very rarely when this problem start occurring.

My Specs is as Follows:

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Graphic Card

i5-3550

Xigmatek 500W NRP-VC503

8GB RAM

Thank You !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

You have neglected to post what operating system you are running, so I can't provide specific instructions.

Boot into Safe Mode while using the dedicated graphics card and see if this issue persists.   Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver, so if this issue is driver related it should work in Safe Mode.  These drivers leave a to be desired quality wise, but can be a good indicator if this is driver related.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2015 - 08:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:16 AM

Whoops my bad, forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Here is the link from Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NGKMZEziZN5JYLc1aDBmj5q

That aside, because my graphic card fails only when starting up my computer or when in game, I am not sure if booting up in safe mode can recreate the problem.

Thank you for your kind advice :D

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

Boot into Safe Mode and play your game/s and see if the problem persists while using the Windows driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:04 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply dc3, When I boot into Safe Mode and try to start a game, I get an error about direct X. Hence, I am not able to launch the game and try out anything in Safe Mode. Anymore ideas I can use to troubleshoot ?

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

I'm fairly confident that your video card is dying and needs to be replaced. That's what those combined symptoms mean to me.

You could try checking to make sure the video card is properly seated in the pci-e slot though. You could also monitor the temperature of the video card and see what it is when the fps goes up and right before it crashes. If it's super hot then you could try cleaning the dust out of it and making sure the fan is spinning ok etc. But I bet it's on the way out.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

When I boot into Safe Mode and try to start a game, I get an error about direct X.

Please post the exact error message.

Try uninstalling the graphics driver for the R7-200 Series and download a new one at Sapphire Technology.

You have integrated graphics with your motherboard.  Pull the dedicated card and see if the integrated graphics works without this problem.

It is possible that the dedicated card could be failing, but until we can rule out other potential problems I wouldn't suggest assuming that it is failing.

#8 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

Hi dc3, the error message is as follows.

"An unknown DirectX error has occurred and League of Legends cannot start. Please make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer."

This is only happening in safe mode, and both integrated and external video card.

I have reinstalled the drivers from the sapphire website, but I am unsure if I should choose the R7 200 Series driver, or the Radeon HD 7000 Series driver. If the R7 200 Series driver, which is my graphic card, the 240, 250 etc ? I am currently using the HD 7750 driver and will report any crashes.

What I want to hopefully find out is whether my graphic card is failing me, or would it be other faulty component like my RAM or PSU.

Thank you dc3 and sparklestar for your advice!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

If you are only getting this message when you are in Safe Mode I wouldn't worry about it.  When you are in Safe Mode Windows uses a native graphics driver, not the Radeon graphics driver.  This driver probably doesn't have the DirectX needed for that card.

The driver I saw in the Speccy (15.200.1062.1004) is the current version. 

In your first post you mention not being able to see the integrated graphics in the Device Manager when you are using the dedicated card.  This would be because the integrated graphics is disabled when a dedicated card is installed.

Please do what I requested previously.  Remove the dedicated card, connect the VGA cable to the motherboard VGA port and see if this problem persists with the integrated graphics.

Is the dedicated card still under warranty?

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#10 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:45 AM

Hi dc3, will do and report any error later, however I want to point out that while watching youtube video using my dedicated card, my screen suddenly blank out and shows a no signal error.  Currently using my onboard graphic and looks to be fine so far in.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

There is another potential problem, you went cheap on the PSU.  When this unit was tested at HarewareInsights it actually exploded.  Your dedicated graphics card requires a 400W PSU with a 12V rail rated at 18A.  This PSU has two 12V rails rated at 16A and 15A.  The review of this unit didn't get the "fail award", but it is not a recommended product.  If you click on the link above you can scroll down to find a video of the PSU exploding.

The PUS is the heart of your computer, this is the last place you want to skimp on.

#12 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hi, based on your experience would you think that my PSU is the one which should be replace or should I get a new video card. If I were to change my PSU which brand and model would you recommend. Thank you.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

I'm not saying that the PSU is the problem, I'm only pointing out that this particular PSU doesn't have the amperage suggest by the manufacturer of your graphics card.  As I stated in my last post, this is a potential problem.

I previously asked if the dedicated card was still under warranty?

#14 fySloppy

fySloppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hi, my dedicated card is no longer under warranty which is why I want to be more careful in making a replacement if need be. Right now running on my integrated graphic card, my PC is performing without issues.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

At this point I think it's a pretty safe bet that this card is either failing, or has failed.  You have the latest driver installed and it still doesn't perform properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users