Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory upgrade problem HP-Compaq 8000 SFF

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:59 PM

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b491/paul_allen5/Screenshot_zps82lbeluc.png

have tried twice to upgrade the RAM in this computer i bought for my mom-and getting a POST beep every time- Do I need to go into the BIOS and change the settings? This computer is supposed to hold 16 gigs of RAM according to HP Website- any input appreciated! Paul

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:06 AM

What memory modules brand/specifications (in pairs?) were installed? Have you tried the crucial software to detect compatible sticks for the desktop?

Tekken

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:00 AM

yes - went to corsair and bought the recommended Ram two sticks of 8 Gigs- first was Corsair- second was Patriot. Look at the last statement in the bullet list on the screenshot- it is very confusing. there are two pairs of DIMM slots,I installed in the correct order- slot 1-and slot 3. The brochure the the Patriot came in said that I may have to go into the BIOS to change the settings.The computer came with 4 gigs of RAM - but it is 64-bit architecture- so I am not sure what is going on at this point-

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:58 AM

This seems to be a HP OEM motherboard problem as many hits by google search shows ram upgrading to maximum results in such behavior including not recognized properly in BIOS (a bios update also) and windows.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1691213/ram-upgrade-working-pavillion.html

Tekken

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:17 AM

This seems to be a HP OEM motherboard problem as many hits by google search shows ram upgrading to maximum results in such behavior including not recognized properly in BIOS (a bios update also) and windows.

Well - you are partially right.After several trips to Frys and re-reading the upgrade page,we(the salesman at Fry's) and myself came to this conclusion. This particular computer,is made in three different form factors- desktop,Small Form Factor,and Mini Form Factor.They all have different motherboards. While the first upgrade page states that the computer is upgradable to 16gigs of RAM,it seems that HP made a mis-wording or mistake,whichever you prefer, and we finally determined that the SFF computer was only upgradable to 8 gigs,2 gigs per slot,which I bought and installed and the computer booted up perfectly with 8 gigs of Ram.I have not reviewed the specs on the desktop version,but woulld be willing to bet that it is the one that will accept 16 gigs.Either way,it's all good,it is a computer I bought for my Mom,and 8 Gigs is plenty of RAM for what she does online.However,I am tempted,although i know it would do no good ,to write to HP and clarify their specs on this model.It's a fine little machine for what she needs,and she is happy,although MY level of frustration was almost to the boiling point- but it all worked out in the end!As for the BIOS- I will check for an update,but I doubt one is available-- Paul

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

If your keen of upgrading (worthy spending) instead of the memory which seems to be already identified to its limitation, look for a SSD as your next option.

Tekken

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

If your keen of upgrading (worthy spending) instead of the memory which seems to be already identified to its limitation, look for a SSD as your next option.

if it were my computer- i would do just that- but mama seems happy with what she has - so there really is no need- an SSD is my next goal on my computer- but for now - all is well-  I have an I7 with 16 gigs of Ram- so i am happy - just gotta take care of mama and her online activities-- and by the way - i am using Linux mint 17.2- because it works - it just works-----------

Edited by paul88ks, 08 October 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users