Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Asus EEEPc to Windows 10 or higher Service Pack?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sva50233

sva50233

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

Friends, this is regarding my backup notebook/netbook, the Asus EEEPc 1201pn (LINK to specs for this PC) from which I am making this post.

These days this old netbook is primarily used to connect my living room TV to my Slingbox, since that app is not available to me on the TV's operating system, and I can't get the Roku Slingbox app to work. But that's another story...

This PC has 2gb of RAM (I don't know if I can upgrade the RAM or not), and has a windows experience rating of 2.3

I would like to know if I should upgrade this PC to Windows 10, or whether or not the actual system requirements for Windows 10 would make my PC run worse on that operating system.

If not, is there a higher Service Pack I can run on this PC? I don't know, because when I click the Windows Update icon, the program continually searches for any updates, but no results are ever listed. II used to go to the windows update website, but that is not available anymore

Pardon the ignorance implied in my questions, and thanks for any help :cowboy:  :hello:

7rXFM9.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:54 AM

The netbook is capable of upgrading your current 2 GB RAM to 4. It is advisable to check the installed stick details/specs just in case to avoid mismatch speeds or go to crucial and use the scanner tool to provide the list of matching stick for your laptop. The Window 7 edition has only one service pack as compared with XP and Vista. I would not go with Windows 10 for the netbook at this point but would grab an ISO copy by downloading it using the media creation tool. The only other upgrade you may want to look also is replacing the HDD with SSD.

Tekken

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Upgrading to Windows 10 can be problematic with the potential lack of drivers for OEM computers.  It may be worth waiting a short while till the rest of the industry has a chance to catch up with drivers.  There are still other glitches being found with Windows 7, such as their audio problem. 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with specific information regarding the RAM you have installed.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2015 - 07:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sva50233

sva50233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

The netbook is capable of upgrading your current 2 GB RAM to 4. It is advisable to check the installed stick details/specs just in case to avoid mismatch speeds or go to crucial and use the scanner tool to provide the list of matching stick for your laptop. The Window 7 edition has only one service pack as compared with XP and Vista. I would not go with Windows 10 for the netbook at this point but would grab an ISO copy by downloading it using the media creation tool. The only other upgrade you may want to look also is replacing the HDD with SSD.

I went to the Crucial website and used the scanner tool. It told me that the max RAM for my computer is 2gb and that I have 2gb currently installed. Do you think I could trick my mobo into accepting 4gb?

Also, is Windows 7 like XP in that certain Intel chipsets won't recognize any more than X gigs of RAM even though the mobo can accept...say...4 slots of 1gb each (my mobo cannot, this is just an example to illustrate my question)

Finally I do not understand what 'grab an ISO copy' means or why I should do that. Sorry I don't get what that means, no offense

#5 sva50233

sva50233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

Arachibutyrophobia (fear of ???. Spider bites?), your help is appreciated.

Here is my Speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/70RQkljasviJJMpDgRBYWed

I'm glad you linked me to this program. I currently already use CCleaner and Defraggler by this company. Who knows what other gems they have which I'm not aware of

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

The motherboard is what determines the amount of RAM that can be installed.  There is only one SO-DIMM slot with a maximum capacity of 2GB of RAM.  This means that your computer is already maxed out for RAM.  Because of this I would suggest not trying to "fool" the computer with a larger amount of RAM.  This would be a waste of money.

Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of having peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.  This goes back to the "Got Milk?" commercial where a little boy feeds his yellow lab a spoonful of peanut butter and the dog spends a lot of time trying to get this swallowed.  Out of curiosity I had been reading through a list of phobias and had run across this phobia.  After seeing the commercial I decided that I would use a very small portion of the "Got Milk?" commercial video as my avatar.  I was not able to find a copy of this video that was clear enough to use, so I just use the phobia as my Member title.  This is not to be confused with my Member name dc3.  This fits my convoluted sense of humor. :woot:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

I went to the Crucial website and used the scanner tool. It told me that the max RAM for my computer is 2gb and that I have 2gb currently installed. Do you think I could trick my mobo into accepting 4gb?

the Asus EEEPc 1201pn (LINK to specs for this PC) from which I am making this post.

Ok, I just followed the link which mentions by memory has 2 Dimms, 1 or 2GB. Good to see it was confirmed by the Speccy report. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Ok, I just followed the link which mentions by memory has 2 Dimms, 1 or 2GB. Good to see it was confirmed by the Speccy report. :thumbup2:

Actually, if you look at the specifications there is only the one SO-DIMM slot which can take either 1GB or 2GB of RAM.

DDR2, 1 x SO-DIMM, 1GB/2GB

The Speccy shows 2GB in single channel with no other SO-DIMM slot.  This supports the fact that there is only the one slot.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

The 2 x so dimm is misleading at any case.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   14.04KB   0 downloads

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users