Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes, Can't ALT+CTRL+DEL, Hard Shutdown Required

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marcilynn

Marcilynn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have a rather old (maybe 7 or 8 years?) Toshiba Portege laptop that runs Vista.  For the past month or so I've been experiencing random freezes.  The screen becomes completely unresponsive and I can't even put the laptop into sleep mode.  I have to hold the power button down, do a hard shutdown and start the laptop up again.  Sometimes when I do that I get an error message that the operating system couldn't be found.

The freezing often seems to happen when I'm loading a new page in my browser.  When I pull up task manager I also notice that CPU Usage jumps from the single digits to 100% for seemingly no reason...I'm not sure if that's normal or even related to my problem but am mentioning it just in case.  It usually seems to be Chrome or tskmgr that's causing the strain.  I've tried to be conscious of how many tabs I open in Chrome, but the high CPU usage and the sudden freezing happen even if I only have a couple open.  I've also tried switching from Chrome to Firefox, but that didn't help.

I've run virus scans (Malware Bytes, Kaspersky and some others) but they all came back clean. 

The freezing happens quite regularly.  The laptop might be fine all day and then it will freeze several times in a row.  (A heat issue, maybe?*  The fan does run often, but it always has I think.)  I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on why it's happening and whether it's fixable.  

I know my laptop is quite old so please don't feel you need to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting.  If there's a relatively simple and easily identifiable solution, I'd love to hear about it.  Otherwise, I can accept that I've gotten my use out of the machine and it's time for a replacement.

I'm attaching:

- SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

- The Perfmon scan I ran (Reliability and Performance Monitor.html.zip)

- Admin.zip (Administrative Events log from Events Viewer - I saw it mentioned in another thread)

If I need to do any other scans please let me know.  Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to take a look at this for me!

[attachments removed]

*Update:  I ran HWMonitor and I think the temps seem ok - nothing is higher than mid-50s.

Edited by mlb275, 05 October 2015 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

This is classic failing hard disk symptoms. Please download and run HDDScan, check the SMART test first, but then run a surface test (read only).

#3 Marcilynn

Marcilynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for replying!  I was afraid it would be something serious like a failing hard disk.

Here's the SMART scan.  I'll add the second test as soon as it's finished running.  (It's said "Executing" for a good 10 minutes now.)

[attachment removed]

Edited by mlb275, 05 October 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

Your spin retry count on your SMART scan is high... :(

Double click the scan in progress to open up its results as they are being logged. Click on the graph tab to get a nice easy to read GUI. Are you seeing >500ms or Bad sectors?

#5 Marcilynn

Marcilynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

I don't really know what that means but I take it the :( means I'm going to be laptop shopping soon!

Right now the scan is at 21%.  It shows 9 results for >500ms and 0 bad sectors.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Yeah, that is a failing HDD. Greater than half a second response time is an infinity in computer terms.

You could replace the drive, but with the age of the machine it might be more than it is worth. That depends on your financial situation though, for $50 you could get a new drive in that machine (assuming you are capable of installing it yourself), but who knows when the next component will start to die.

At least you have a chance to backup your essential data from that drive, now.

#7 Marcilynn

Marcilynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

Ok, thanks for your time and for the explanation.  I will get started on backing everything important up!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

No problem. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users