Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Havok12

Havok12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a really rough time over the past few days with my desktop connecting to my Wi-Fi, hopefully you guys can help! So, this computer is pretty new - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0K9O3E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Just bought it about 6 months ago and it’s been great! But ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10, I've been having Wi-Fi/internet connection issues, and it seems to be getting worse and worse. But the strange thing is, my phone, tablet, and laptop don't have ANY of these issues, they work perfectly! But my desktop, well, that's a different story.

So when I turned my computer on today, my connection to my Wi-fi kept bouncing from ‘limited’ (with the little yellow exclamation point), to normal. This was happening about every 1 minute or so. My tablet and my phone didn’t have any of these issues what so ever. Eventually, after trying everything I could think of, I re-set my wi-fi connection and that helped. (Restarting my computer 10 times didn’t!). This is not the first time this has happened to this computer, I can think of at least 2 other times as well.

Now that that issue has been fixed (for now), my internet connection has been spiking up and down for the past 2 hours. I’ve been speed-testing the hell out of it, and just surfing the web, watching videos on Youtube, etc. and it won’t stop spiking. (no issues what so ever with my other devices)

When the connection doesn’t spike, my download speed is 40ish/mb, same with my phone and my tablet. So the internet service is fine. This seems to be strictly an issue with my desktop computer, and I can’t for the life of me figure it out. Like I said before, I have had some issues in the past after I downloaded windows 10, but this is by far the worst it’s ever been.

I’ve looked through a few pages on this forum, and made a few of the recommended changes, such as turning off Microsoft’s PNP connection, and a couple other minor changes. But I can’t seem to find anyone else who is having a similar issue as me.

What do you guys think? Is it an internal issue with my computer? Or is this a windows 10 issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

This is definitely a Windows 10 issue, as it is actually still a beta and some bugs still haven't been fixed.. I had the same problem, and with multiple computers too. Even more reason to go back to Windows 7 or 8 is Windows 10's new privacy policy. (Hint: MS can read your private conversations).

Edited by gigawert, 05 October 2015 - 10:36 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

Look for a Windows 10 driver for your wireless card. Hint it won't be at Microsoft's site. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Havok12

Havok12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

I updated my drivers but it didn't seem to help at all. Any other ideas?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

Have you given your modem/router a series of thorough tests yet?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Or trying to change the Wifi broadcast channel or whatever it's called may help too, as your neighbours may be on the same channel.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users