Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender turned off (in Windows 10) Can't turn it on.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

I have had Windows 10, 64 bit since the end of August and recently I noticed that Windows Defender is "turned off" and will not allow me to turn it on. When I searched for it and clicked the icon, I got a message in a little pop-up window that says "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." It does this even if I "run as administrator". If I go to Settings, Update & Security,  Windows Defender, I see the Real-time protection is turned on and greyed out so I can't do anything, yet everything else says it's off. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Very strange.

And just today another strange thing happened. I was on a webpage with a few windows open in other tabs, using the Edge browser, and all of a sudden they just all closed. When I clicked to reopen my browser, they opened in a tiny little window, with a few tabs. Very strange.

I await any ideas on what might be going on here. Thank you.

~ Cheryl

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2015 - 09:34 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Spt to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

If you have another AV installed, Defender won't turn on.

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

I had the same issue when trying to turn Norton 360 off to use my companies VPN which checks anti virus software. The VPN is compatible with Defender but not 360 (yet). I was able to run the VPN on a machine that only had Defender on it.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

I only just now added AVG anti virus, and since updating to Win 10 (without anti virus protection) it would not turn on either. I do have Advanced System Care pro, Malwarebytes, IObit Malware fighter, and Spybot. Would they interfere? If I turn them off, would I be able to turn on Windows Defender?

Thank you. ~ Cheryl

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

I do not advise Advance System Care Pro, or any such SwissArmyKnife programs -- can cause more grief than joy.

Did I read correctly - AVG is not working either?  Do any one or more of your malware programs indicate anything amiss?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Hello Roland. No, my AVG is running just fine. I did not have anything running when I upgraded to Windows 10 but have just recently added AVG. And with every scan, everything comes up clean.

~ Cheryl

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Seasoned BC techs may suggest downloading and running MiniToolBox.  Have the log [results] ready to post when and how they ask.  They may or may not suggest adwcleaner, just have it sitting there - but don't run it until they say to do so and how they say to do so.  They won't steer you wrong!  :)  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 06 October 2015 - 10:34 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Cheryl,

Just FYI, I've had precisely the same problem on Win8.1.  My partner's machine had Panda Cloud Antivirus installed on it and I uninstalled (and rebooted) in an effort to transition to using Windows Defender.  No matter what I tried it refused to turn it on, even when I tried to do so directly from Services.

You're certainly not alone in having a Windows Defender won't turn on situation, though yours is in a "straight out of the box" type situation.  I ended up reinstalling Panda because it does work and work well.  So much for "decluttering."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hi britechguy. Thank you for sharing. Good to know it's not just me. Sorry you are having the same problem.  I didn't have any anti virus at first as I heard that Windows Defender comes built in and was supposed to be all we needed with Windows 10, but since it won't turn on, I have now downloaded and am using AVG Free anti virus. I've used it for years and have always been happy with it. :)

~ Cheryl

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi Cheryl,

Just a word of advice - I would recommend that you get rid of Advanced System Care, IOBit Malware Fighter and Spybot S&D.

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of optimization tools like Advanced System Care.

IOBit Malware Fighter has terrible performance, not to mention they stole definitions from Malwarebytes in the past. You already have MBAM, use that.

Spybot S&D's performance has declined over the year and is now no longer at the top of its game - again, MBAM does better (and is less hassle too).

If you like to have another antimalware program to use with MBAM, I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#11 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

Hi Alexstrasza. Do you think that by removing those programs you mentioned, I will be able to find a way to turn on Windows Defender? I have paid for ASC so for now I will most likely keep it, at least until my subscription runs out at end of year. But I might uninstall the other two you suggested.

Thank you for the advice.

~ Cheryl

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hi Cheryl,

You might need to have someone look into Windows Defender - I do not know how ASC in particular interacts with WD since it claims to provide antivirus protection. Personally I would just install a third party AV over WD and not bother with it.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

The inability to turn Windows Defender 8/10 on is typically the result of having a third-party anti-virus installed or failure to remove in properly (completely). Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants...then Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus you may receive a message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

If that is not the case in your situation, then please refer to this topic.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

Hi britechguy. Thank you for sharing. Good to know it's not just me. Sorry you are having the same problem.  I didn't have any anti virus at first as I heard that Windows Defender comes built in and was supposed to be all we needed with Windows 10, but since it won't turn on, I have now downloaded and am using AVG Free anti virus. I've used it for years and have always been happy with it. :)

~ Cheryl

Cheryl, if you're happy with AVG, then you don't need Windows Defender & that's why it doesn't turn on. 

If you were running Windows Defender on Windows 7 prior to running Windows 10, that's a different software, more of a anti-spyware software. Windows Defender for Windows 8 through 10 is kind of what MSE is to Windows 7 & Vista, a full fledged AV software. You don't want both Windows Defender & AVG running at the same time. Not only will your PC use a lot more resources, both running at once will lessen your protection, not make it better, because both would be bumping heads. 

So yes it's built in, yet if you have any other AV software installed, it'll shutdown. 

Hopefully this helps to explain :)

And whatever you do, please do not use the registry cleaner of ASC on your computer. These type of programs can cause a lot more harm than good. As far as IObit Malware Fighter goes, I just don't trust the brand. It's been sometime back, they were caught red handed stealing technology from Malwarebytes, and claiming the software as their own. The reason they were caught was that the Malwarebytes team set them up by inserting a couple of key files in the software, once a thief, always one. I wouldn't install anything with the IObit name on it if given to me, even a Lifetime subscription. Yet that's me, but I bet there's others who feels the same way. 

Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners, while there may be a few keys no longer needed, these poses no harm. The only time that registry keys should be quarantined or deleted is if a reliable anti-malware (AM) software, such as Malwarebytes Anti Malware or Emsisoft Anti Malware (the latter is a AV+AM in one). Furthermore, the registry doesn't need to be defragged, this is snake oil, in other words, useless, as soon as that ASC license expires, it needs to be removed. If you have any auto scans to be ran to clean things up, you need to disable these, the only things that really needs cleaning are your browsers & Temp files, and unless just performing a transaction, doesn't need to be ran daily. 

While AVG has had it's ups & downs, overall it's a good choice for Windows 10, in fact when running the first Previews late last year, posted some screenshots that showed AVG catching one of the keyloggers, at least one member felt that I shouldn't have done that.  :)

I thought that to be great, as even the Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) didn't catch the keyloggers. As long as you're running AVG, you're better protected than running Windows Defender, I've yet to see it catch anything. 

Good Luck with Windows 10!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

....As far as IObit Malware Fighter goes, I just don't trust the brand. It's been sometime back, they were caught red handed stealing technology from Malwarebytes, and claiming the software as their own. The reason they were caught was that the Malwarebytes team set them up by inserting a couple of key files in the software, once a thief, always one. I wouldn't install anything with the IObit name on it if given to me, even a Lifetime subscription. Yet that's me, but I bet there's others who feels the same way.

Although, the Malwarebytes team no longer has an issue with IObit, the vendor's dubious methods would not warrant a recommendation from me to use or trust their software. Further, IOBIT was even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars with their products.

You may want to read some of the user comments posted on the Complaints Board to see why there are so many concerns by others regarding this product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users