Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP not opening EXE files?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

So about 4 months ago i found an old IBM Thinkpad T43 outside a thrift shop garbage can (They couldn't get into the laptop so they just threw it out) so i went in through the admin profile which they had not put a password on and i wiped all the info off of it and everything using the restore built into the computer. I have had no problems with it but i haven't really used it much. so today i set it up on my desk and everything and it now that i am getting everything setup i realized that it seems like i cant open any EXE files like the JAVA Install and minecraft (Yes minecraft) and other new EXE files that i am trying to open. And yeah it runs on windows xp...

And its not because these EXE files aren't compatible because most of these files say they are compatible with a lot of platforms including windows XP

Any help on how to fix this would be awesome

Thanks,

Jude  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I am not sure it will work but use the exe file association fix here. Download and unzip the file.

See the note for the EXE file association. Use regedit to import the reg file.

#3 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I am not sure it will work but use the exe file association fix here. Download and unzip the file.

See the note for the EXE file association. Use regedit to import the reg file.

Yeah its not working :/ maybe i just need to upgrade :P

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

How much RAM does the computer have. If you plan on upgrading to Windows 7 run the Upgrade Advisor. If you have 1GB or more look at installing linux such as Mint or Ubuntu.

#5 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

How much RAM does the computer have. If you plan on upgrading to Windows 7 run the Upgrade Advisor. If you have 1GB or more look at installing linux such as Mint or Ubuntu.

The computer says it has 1.5 Gb of ram but i dont know if that means like before all my programs or if it means it has 1.5 left i went into control panel and then system and it says 1.50 gb does that mean i have enough for linux?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

That is plenty. I would download the iso of Mint Cinnamon and see how you like it. You can burn a DVD iso file using XP and Imgburn or use Rufus and a USB flash drive to create a bootable stick. 

Edit: You do not have to install it. You can run it off the DVD or USB stick. If you like it then you can do the install from the icon on the desktop. If you have any questions there is a linux forum here you can ask questions from a lot of knowledgeable people.

Right clicking My Computer on XP will show you how much RAM you have. 

Mint Cinnamon 17.2

For your computer I think 32bit would be fine.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=189

Rufus

For Rufus select MBR partition scheme. Under the dropdown menu that show Freedos select iso file. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file of Mint. Press Start. If there is data on the flash drive back it up first. I am not sure if the T43 can boot USB or not.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 October 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#7 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

Okay ill try that today :) thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2015 - 12:35 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

If you did the install please post back your experience with Mint.

#9 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hey sorry i have been super busy but ill make sure as soon as i can ill post back about my experience. thank you again :)

#10 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

I have not downloaded mint yet but i thought i would let you know that i figured out that EXE files like ONLINE installers work fine but any offline exe files do not open...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Since you got this from a thrift shop, I would not trust that the OS is not infected. I would wipe the drive and install Mint as I suggested. You will have a much safer OS.

#12 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

That is plenty. I would download the iso of Mint Cinnamon and see how you like it. You can burn a DVD iso file using XP and Imgburn or use Rufus and a USB flash drive to create a bootable stick. 

Edit: You do not have to install it. You can run it off the DVD or USB stick. If you like it then you can do the install from the icon on the desktop. If you have any questions there is a linux forum here you can ask questions from a lot of knowledgeable people.

Right clicking My Computer on XP will show you how much RAM you have. 

Mint Cinnamon 17.2

For your computer I think 32bit would be fine.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=189

Rufus

For Rufus select MBR partition scheme. Under the dropdown menu that show Freedos select iso file. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file of Mint. Press Start. If there is data on the flash drive back it up first. I am not sure if the T43 can boot USB or not.

So i got the iso and rufus and made a bootable usb but i dont know how to start mint from it. i know that on other systems you re-start the computer and then select mint or press f9 and select it but all i get on my IBM is this :

ibm-laptop-stuck-on-boot-logo.jpg

And even when i press the Access IBM button it doesnt give me anything where i can start linux...

After that screen windows xp starts up

So yeah im confused :/

#13 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

I got the picture off the internet but thats what it looks like on my computer.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

It's possible that the computer is old enough where booting form USB is not supported. On the later Thinkpads tapping F12 at boot will get you a boot menu.

Can you burn the iso to a DVD?  On a Windows 7 computer, right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. 

If Rufus does not work for you you can use this utility.

#15 FiresAndFoxes

FiresAndFoxes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:23 PM

It's possible that the computer is old enough where booting form USB is not supported. On the later Thinkpads tapping F12 at boot will get you a boot menu.

Can you burn the iso to a DVD?  On a Windows 7 computer, right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. 

If Rufus does not work for you you can use this utility.

Ill try F12, i can try a DVD but yeah rufus worked good so its not that. ill let you know if i have any problems :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users