Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypting File System makes folder 'Read Only'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 pro, from 8.1 core. I made a folder, right-clicked on it to bring up menu, selected properties, then advanced properties, and checked the 'Encrypt contents ...' option. Because I am a super-clever & sneaky guy, I also made it a hidden folder.

Windows keeps applying the 'Read Only' attribute to the folder, and I am not sure why. I can remove the attribute to move new contents to the folder -the move operation still seems like it isn't working, but when I cancel the move operation, the file has, in-fact, been moved. After a few minutes though, the folder is 'Read Only' again.

Is this normal? and is there any way to prevent it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

If you need to encrypt things I suggest you use 7z to make encrypted archives instead, they would provide much stronger encryption. Or you could use tools specifically for encryption to have files really well protected.

Edited by rp88, 06 October 2015 - 12:43 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users