Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image Backups

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

After having a few problems with my family's' Pcs recently i have decided to create a system image backup for each to help recovery if/when the next problems occur or i need to recover drives etc.

I have an external HDD to store them on and created the first one fine, but then i did another machine and it over wrote the first one rather than a seperate bckup for each machine. This is undesirable and useless to me.

How can i avoid this and create seperate images on one drive and still be able to use them if i need to?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

I've never used the Windows Backup feature...but I suspect that you need to save the backups to one partition/drive and then store it on another.

Or...simply use a backup program like Macrium Reflect, which will give each backup a distinctive name that will prevent overwrites.

Louis

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

First create directories for the backup files on the hd to save the backup to. On the hd make file directories......Laptop, Desktop, Upstairs laptop etc. When you do a backup you point it to the directory that matches the system. This should keep them seperate. Understand though that Windows backup doesn't use file compression. So you may quickly run out of space depdending on how large the hd is. Many people moved on from using Microsoft backup to a 3rd party software solution such as Acronis True Image.

To give you an example: I have full hd clone backups. Two laptops 3 desktops both prior OS backups and Windows 10 new backup for each. Total space used 155GB out of 1TB hd. That also includes 2-3 heavy duty games that take up 20-30GB each on the desktop. True Image you can create a boot disk for HD type failures. Any catastrophic failure like that just replace the hd, boot to the cd disk and I can restore the OS for that system in about 10 minutes. I also have all those backups mirrored to another HD incase the backup HD fails.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

Thanks. I have got another back up application but forgot about it in this instance. I only have it on one PC anyway.

I did wonder about seperate directories an went to move the first image backup into one but was worried about making the backup unusable. Renaming likewise. Tried it with a windows data backup and it seemed to render it unacesible by moving it. Will have to look again at PC names too, I have two with the same name on my network!

Other backup software will compress backups will they. That's helpful, I only have 500GB to work with, a third of which has already gone on other backups.

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2015 - 05:53 AM.

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:18 AM

Oh BTW the software I have is AOMEI Backup (free). This should be good enough?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:54 AM

The AOMEI software is used by some members here, they have reported no problems with it.

Louis

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

I am using it. All good. Be sure to create a bootable cd/dvd, just in case your pc becomes unbootable.   HERE

The 'Windows PE' cd or dvd seems the make the better sense.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users