Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a working password reset disk for 8.1??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

One of our clients (in the computer lab) has a single 8.1 computer that is not attached to the domain and we do not know the local account password. Is there a way to retrieve this password. From my experience, OPHCRACK has never worked, and Hirens boot disk does not work either with 8.1.

Any info would is greatly appreciated.

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

Enable the hidden Administrator Account using this guide. The software shown in the guide has been updated here. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI and also Fastboot/Quickboot if there is an option. You may also need to enable Legacy or CSM boot in UEFI in order for the disk to boot.

I would enable the hidden Administrator Account and use that to change the password of the local account instead of trying to reset the password.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
 If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users