Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Windows 10: Adapt or Die', Computerworld article

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Click here to read it. I've not yet found parallel articles.  Wholly agree with Trapper_John's comment in it.  Computerworld has  one of the nastiest interfaces to use, borks Firefox, so be sure you have Adblock Plus on.  The only way you can comment is to turn all cookies to accept and Adblock in all forms off and then refresh the browser several times before you can sign in.  Not worth it.  Computerworld used to be a good site to read and comment in, during its Disqus days.  Now it uses some other very dysfunctional method, just like Infoworld and PC World all do, so reading its articles is much more painful.  And, Keizer is no longer an accurate reporter. I don't know what happened to his reporting over the past few months, but apart from financial reporting he's too busy quoting Gartner, who never gets anything right.

As for the article itself, well the obvious answer is, MSFT is doing it wrong AGAIN, this time with respect to Enterprise.  No way will Enterprise put up with a mandated four-month acceptance.  By contract, they don't have to.  So all the speculation is pointless.

Even so, if this represents a new twist in MSFT policy re Win10, then it just signals the death knell.  Four months is just not acceptable for an OS which borks so easily.  Nor, even were it perfect, as that's too short a window for deployment testing.

I can't believe MSFT would be that dumb, so maybe this article is just speculation and not at all indicative of MSFT policy?  Hope springs eternal.

Opine, please?

Edited by brainout, 05 October 2015 - 09:21 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

I can't see enterprises going for a 4 month update schedule, especially some with 5000 seats. What happens on a Windows 10 service update that borks all the printer drivers? According to to EULA Windows 10 is supported up to the point your hardware supports it. Enterprises knew their hardware would be supported for at least the life of the OS, 10 years. Now it's every 4 months?

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Wow, I forgot about that.  Thank you, JohnC_21.  To others: he's talking about the lifecycle agreement **, which I showed in video here and you can read for yourself, here.  That agreement is incorporated by reference into the EULA for Enterprise as well as non-enterprise, but I don't have a copy of the Enterprise license, so can't say where it is.  Its nickname however you can search on: aka.ms/windowslifecycle (you must paste an aka link to your browser to go there), which is the style of incorporation by reference each MSFT EULA uses.

It's in the non-Enterprise license Paragraph 7, as I tried to explain here.

I seriously don't understand who is running the show at Redmond.  So I can only hope that the 4-month reporting is as inaccurate as all Keizer's other numbers lately, as he's got a penchant for quoting Gartner, whose incompetence is becoming legendary (i.e., claiming 14 million devices in 24 hours, etc).

Edited by brainout, 05 October 2015 - 10:25 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

This is going to be interesting. We Home and Pro users can't do much but complain, while, with Enterprise, money talks. Though I don't expect that any concessions won by big business will trickle down to us, I'm going to enjoy the show.

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:20 AM

I hope you're right, leithanne, for right now it seems that even Enterprise is being snubbed.  I really don't understand why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users