Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - cursor stuck - restore point from BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

Had a BSOD (after a failed Comodo firewall install) and Vista couldn't automatically repair. I can get to the desktop but the cursor is frozen and I don't think the keyboard is working either. Any suggestions on how to fix?

With hindsight I would probably have tried to select a previous restore point from the options from automatic repair but I don't know how to get back to it. Is it possible to select a restore point from the BIOS? The arrow keys work then.

PS - I don't have a Vista recovery disc

Edited by n01paranoid, 05 October 2015 - 04:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

During boot you press the F8 key over and over till the Advanced boot options apears. From there boot into 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Once in safe mode then try the previous restore point.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

Thanks technonymous. Unfortunately the cursor won't work in safe mode either so can't even begin getting into system restore, unless there's another way of doing it. I've also tried Fn +F7 which sometimes enables a disabled cursor but this didn't work either.

PS - I wasn't able to boot into safe mode by pressing F8, but by holding down the on/off button. It then boots saying computer didn't shut down correctly giving me the various boot options.

Edited by n01paranoid, 06 October 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

So are we dealing with a touchpad, ps/2 mouse or usb mouse? I would suggest using an alternate mouse. Preferably a USB one. If this is a touchpad it's possible something has gone wrong in the drivers or something spilt down inside it? If it's been repaired before many cases the ribbon/wires under it may have not been plugged in and locked into place. If this is ps/2 or USB mouse unplug it and inspect both the wired end and port for dmg. Sometimes the plastic key inside can break off inside exposing the pins and if those bend and touch each other will cause all kinds of havoc. Try a different USB port. There are adapters for ps/2 to usb and vice versa.

Edited by technonymous, 06 October 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#5 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

Touchpad (Acer Aspire 6930G laptop). Never repaired, never spilt anything on it. As the problem occurred after an attempted install I guess the most likely thing is a driver issue. I don't think the keyboard is working either when I get to the desktop but the arrow buttons work in BIOS. If I could somehow get to the automatic repair box then I could system restore. 

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

You have no other USB keyboard/mouse you can use? I am affraid that you may have to break down and buy a cheap keyboard/mouse set somewhere to get around this. Try going into those boot F8 menu options again and this time choose last known good configuration.

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

That's just what I've been saying. F8 has no effect. If it did I could go to the last decent system restore point and everything would be fine.. And no other mouse etc available. 

#8 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users