Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you completely disable (broken)lap top monitor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manny_g

manny_g

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

Hi,

I was careless and left my laptop unattended a bit too long and one of my lovely toddlers; two and four, got a bit too rough and broke my built in LCD display. I'm able to use my laptop with a monitor using and/or my tv via hdmi. I'm attempting to update to windows 10 because I am part of the flock and do as the updates tell me. My problem seems to be that while the computer restarts to update to windows 10 it will not recognize the external displays so I am left with a flashing broken display and no way follow promps to update. What I wonder is if I am able to just completely disable the monitor and make it as if it is not even on the lap top or if I can somehow change the default monitor during start up vs just what I am doing now. I'll appreciate  any help, guidance, or suggestions.

Here are the specs for the lap top as a copy/paste

Product Name

17-e019dx

Product Number

E0J97UA

Microprocessor

2.4GHz 4th generation Intel Core i3-4000M Processor

Microprocessor Cache

3MB L3 Cache

Memory

4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)

Memory Max

Maximum supported = 8GB

Memory Slots

2 user accessible

Video Graphics

Intel HD graphics 4600

Display

17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)

Hard Drive

750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Multimedia Drive

SuperMulti DVD burner

Network Card

10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Connectivity

1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound

DTS Sound+

Keyboard

Full-size keyboard with numeric keypad

Pointing Device

Touchpad supporting multi-touch gestures without on/off button

External Ports

Multi-format digital media card reader for Secure Digital cards

2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 VGA (15-pin)

1 RJ-45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack

Dimensions

1.16 in (min H) / 1.29 in (max H) x 16.5 in (W) x 10.5 in (D)

Weight

6.39 lb

Power

65W AC adapter

6-cell 47WHr 2.2 Ah lithium-ion battery

ID Mech Description

Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Thanks,

Manny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

For this you may want to use external keyboard, mouse, monitor. In addition you may need to change power options turning sleep off & change the settings if the lid is closed to do nothing.

Change display settings in control panel so that the external monitor is the default display. Or, Try using the Winkey + P can change between them. Change it to extended monitor only. Note: you may have to do this blindly. Winkey+P then tab 3 times and enter key. Go to external monitor only. If it doesn't find any device it reverts in a few seconds.

Some laptops have their own FN (function key) controls to switch external monitors to svid etc. Typically FN key + F1-12 key conbination.

Lastly, there may some bios settings.

Edited by technonymous, 05 October 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#3 manny_g

manny_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

@technonymous thanks for these ideas. It's all good stuff just not quite what I need to accomplish. I'm looking to tell my lap top it does not have a monitor, or that the monitor is broken, or that it should output from the startup to the vga port.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

#4 Svperstar

Svperstar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

Did you try disabling the built in display in device manager?

You could also open the laptops case and disconnect the wire leading to the LCD. Be careful if you have never taken a laptop apart before. Do not force ANYTHING.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:02 AM

You have tried the FN+F4 and it didn't work?? With the external display connected to the VGA port, after the system boots you should be able to hold the FN key and press F4. The emblem on the F4 key looks like this...  | [   ] |   Or something similar to it. This sends the signal to external monitor VGA port. Pressing those keys again may go to SVID ouput etc. (If the laptop has a svid out) Then pressing it third time goes back to the laptops display.

Edited by technonymous, 08 October 2015 - 01:04 AM.

#6 manny_g

manny_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

yeah, after boot but during the installation process of windows 10 it will not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users