Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How high can I go with a integrated GPU?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

Okay so this Christmas I may be buying myself a new GPU but I am wondering how necessary it really is as my integrated Intel HD 4600 not only works just fine but holds up better then expected.

My Core i5 4460 has certainly proven itself to me but I am wondering how high can I go without severe performance issues?

I have tried Alien Isolation, Tomb raider 2013, Arkham Origins... a small collection but it seems all play just fine albeit a few lag issues once in a blue moon.

In fact things only get bad when I dont play games, as odd as that sounds as on windows 10 my stock CPU fan goes into overdirve when not playing games so something right must be going on.

I am just wondering if I can justify buying a GPU like a Nvidia as my desktop has more then aced any game i can throw at it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Malavio

Malavio

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

How is it that your fan works harder when you are not playing a game? What are you doing when not gaming that would run your processor so heavy? What graphics settings are you running your games on?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

If the HD4600 integrated graphics is doing the job for you then no, you don't need to upgrade.  Integrated graphics have come a long way since the very basic earlier versions.  To answer your "how high can you go" question is difficult.  That is also dependent on resolution, quality settings, and whatnot.  What may be sufficient performance to you may not be to someone else.  If a game has specific hardware requirements to even run then that is a different matter.  I suspect newer titles as released will be increasingly difficult to run.  For example, Arkham Knight specifies a minimum GPU of a GTX660 or HD7950, which is quite a high bar.

High CPU use is something else.  The first thing to do is open up performance monitor during these bouts of high CPU use and see if you can identify what is using the CPU so intensively.  Anti virus stuff running background scans is a possible cause.  On a PC I have that doesn't get switched on that much, I find Windows 10 often quite sluggish with high CPU use while it applies a lot of updates.... It tends to settle down after a while.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

Yeah i am suspecting my AV client for my cpu fan speeding up.

As for any other games, well Arkham knights is set to re release later this month and I could give it a good college try with my integrated GPU.

Edited by MadmanRB, 05 October 2015 - 01:53 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users