Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this Windows 10 by error or force?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hello, First.. Is this in the right area (I hope so) ?

I keep trying to do Windows Updates, and I have limited them to Important only, and download but let me choose / install (no automatic install).

Below is what happens with any updates (it attempts to start Windows 10) and this has been turned off.

Attached File  Win10.JPG   29.1KB   0 downloads

I then stop the process or Right click remove from tray, but this happens every morning I start up.

Not mentioned above is that this is a desktop unit, and I turn it off every night, as it is only used as a personal computer by me.

The only 2 "Important Updates" listed in the Windows Update area are these :

Important (2)
Windows Defender (1)
Definition update for Windows Defender - KB2267602
Windows 8.1 (1) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64 based Systems (KB3087040

I use Windows Antivirus, but this I now update from within the program only.

Any help please, or move it to the correct area if I have it wrong.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

Have you tried hiding the update. That's what I ended up doing...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

"(it attempts to start Windows 10) and this has been turned off."

How have you done that?

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

after my post I went back and looked...update returned. I just unreserved the 10 upgrade on my desktop. We'll see what happens...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Sorry to all if I was not clear.

I can not find the KB update that everyone talks about, so that is why I titled it "by Error or Force".

There are only the 2 given "Important Updates" listed, but I just looked in my tray under Hidden Icons, and the Windows 10 item is listed, looking like my Windows 8.1 Start Button. Do you think that I have installed Windows 10 by accident was the "by Error" part of my question ?

If I have should I go back over the last few months updates 1 by 1 and look for the Upgrade KB, as I may have changed my "accept updates" settings too late and I had installed it already ? If so, can I remove it as I do not want it on my system at all, and I would prefer to stay away from it while it is still being developed ? (my belief).

It has been released with no, or very little, notice to makers, so I simply do not wish for (what I consider as) a half finished BETA version of a program.

Sorry, long answer to short questions, but I am not able to find that Update.

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#6 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

Sorry cmptrgy, I forgot to address your question

"(it attempts to start Windows 10) and this has been turned off."
How have you done that?

I have a large Blue, looks like Windows Start Icon, on the screen and I am asked if I wish to install Windows 10 now.

This is where I always stop or remove the "active" icon in my tray.

I hope this is an accurate description of what I mean ? If not, please ask further.

Edit to change word sequences.

Edited by Jaycan, 04 October 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

I keep trying to do Windows Updates, and I have limited them to Important only, and download but let me choose / install (no automatic install).
Below is what happens with any updates (it attempts to start Windows 10) and this has been turned off.

I'll jump in for that part. What you are seeing is a known "glitch" with the Windows Update under Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 after Windows 10 release. Basically, even thought they Windows 10 Upgrade update isn't selected or hidden in the list, when you try to install the other updates, it'll display that it's currently working on download and installing Windows 10, but it's not. It's actually download and installing the other updates you checked (so the Important or Recommended ones). Hence why I call it a "glitch". It happens all the time in my VMs, and the Windows 10 Upgrade was never downloaded even once on them. So basically, as long as you don't see the Windows 10 Upgrade update in your list of available updates to install, or have it hidden, it won't install that way when you try to install other updates.

I hope that it answers your question.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

snip / as long as you don't see the Windows 10 Upgrade update in your list of available updates to install, or have it hidden, it won't install that way when you try to install other updates.
I hope that it answers your question.

Is the Large Blue emblem shown prior to this "cancellation" also a glitch, or is that trying to install "something".

When I cancel out of the Startup screen, by trying to stop any downloads, then right click / delete the tray icon, is that a glitch, as it then tells me it is (I forget the exact wording) "Removing files", or words similar to that. Plus can the Hidden Icon be removed (I have about 7 in that little box).

Do I need to go back over Installed Items / updates (I am willing to spend my time and do it via Speccy or other means), or has M/soft, or me by accident, already installed something that will end up being Windows10 (Which I do not want) ?

Thanks for answer.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

Is the Large Blue emblem shown prior to this "cancellation" also a glitch, or is that trying to install "something".

What emblem are you talking about? Is it possible to have a screenshot of it? Or do you mean this (even thought it would say something like "Windows 10 Ready to Download and Install")?
yAhSvZx.png
Credits: WindowsCentral

When I cancel out of the Startup screen, by trying to stop any downloads, then right click / delete the tray icon, is that a glitch, as it then tells me it is (I forget the exact wording) "Removing files", or words similar to that. Plus can the Hidden Icon be removed (I have about 7 in that little box).
Do I need to go back over Installed Items / updates (I am willing to spend my time and do it via Speccy or other means), or has M/soft, or me by accident, already installed something that will end up being Windows10 (Which I do not want) ?

I don't really understand what you're asking here. The "Get Windows 10" app in your system tray is part of the KB3035583. If you want to remove it, you can simply uninstall it and hide the update so it doesn't get shown in the future (unless Microsoft re-issues it).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:44 AM

I only seem to get this "Large Blue Icon" like Drew ended up using as his avatar / signature, and the installing (I assume Windows 10) in my mornings after I have had the computer shut down for overnight lengths of time. I am unable to reproduce it if we go shopping, or similar, and the computer is only shut down for 2 / 3 / or even 4 hours. I would need to shut this computer down (as I always do and have) overnight.

The "Get Windows 10" app in your system tray is "part of" the KB3035583. (my quote marks)

If you want to remove it, >>>you can simply uninstall it and hide the update<<< so it doesn't get shown in the future (unless Microsoft re-issues it).

How ???? is my question, and where ???? do I look. As above, I am willing to spend my time around ‎16/07/‎2015 and look in Speccy or Installed Updates, but which is better ?

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home ...Installation date: ‎27/‎09/‎2015 1:48 PM .... Installation status: Failed
Upgrade to Windows 10 Home .....Installation date: ‎27/‎09/‎2015 1:47 PM .... Installation status: Canceled

The above 2 items are typical of entries that range from 16 / 07 / 15 to today 5 /10 15 With stress on Cancelled as I try to stop it.

I simply do not want the KB item installed, and I think Microsoft needed to release a KB (or similar) item so we can remove this infection (agree it is not infection, but is forced as per infection without a cure).

I can only try and post a picture in the morning for you.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

If this is what you want to do, See if this helps

How to Cancel Reservation for Free Upgrade to Windows 10 in Get Windows 10 app

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6730-get-windows-10-app-cancel-reservation-free-upgrade-windows-10-a.html

Edited by cmptrgy, 05 October 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Jaycan, have you yet tried removal of the windows updates KB3035583 and KB3044374, this can be done by looking at your "installed updates" list. Once those are removed you should make sure your update setting is set to ask you before downloading, and in future the only updates you should tick are those patching security vulnerabiltities (you need to do these, doing them as soon as possible tuesday evening/wednesday morning is also important) (Security Update for ...) and those which, after looking at the "more information" link, you judge to be updates which fix bugs you have experienced. (In regards to post #9, if you set updates to "check automatically but ask me whether to download" then even if an update you've hidden gets re-issued and hence unhides itself, it still won't be installed, because you'll see it, recognise it's KN number and untick it next time you install updates.).

You can check whether windows 10 is downloaded by turning "hidden files" (not "protected operating system files", leave those hidden) to be shown in "folder options", and then looking in C:\ and seeing if you have a folder called $WINDOWS.~BT (or any other very similar name). If you see such a thing post on this thread all the informaton you can find about it (folder size, names of subfolders (don't bother going many levels of subfolders down, there's too many to name, but you could post the names of the first "level" of them within it), dates created and modified. Then we can help you get rid of it if you want to avoid windows 10, however don't try and get rid of it on your own, post descriptions first and make some system images first.

Also please confirm to us your current situation by searching your C:\ drive for "gwx" (obviously don't typed the quote marks into the search box), search within the file explorer not with windows 8.1s other search features (such as it right hand swipe stuff). Tell us what, if anything, is listed. Once again don't do anything about these yet, but if you describe what and where they are, if they are present (I'm pretty sure they will be given your situation) then I can advise on dealing with them, but I will insist you make a system image before following any of the steps I would suggest to get rid of gwx, because if something goes wrong you'll be really glad of an image to revert to.

First follow the steps in the tutorial below to make yourself an image on an external storage device, ask if you need help with it. On windows 8.1 the image making option is found in "file history" in "control panel".
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual

Then backup all your personal files to another external device, the system image will backup your programs and system settings but it's best to backup your files separately as well.

Then tell us whether you have that bt folder, and whether you have any gwx stuff.

Then remove those two updates KB3035583 and KB3044374 (we can help with that if you need it).

Then if necessary we can show you how to get rid of any remaining gwx or windows 10 traces, but only after you've done all the previous steps.

Edited by rp88, 05 October 2015 - 02:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

[attachment=171205:W10.JPG

You may notice the small Windows square at the bottom, and this is in the bottom tray (I right click, delete to stop whatever is installing)

Sorry that my description of the item was not very good, but here is the morning shot of it.

@ rp88 ..

All I have been asking is "Where is this located, and how do I remove it from the computer".

It is an Acer with Windows 8.1 installed, and since I purchased this I have not even found what half the bells and whistles are for yet.

Windows 10 means nothing to me, as I fully believe it was and still is a major mistake released to a deadline not a final program.

Attached Files

• Attached File  W10.JPG   58.32KB   0 downloads

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

So to clarify, Jaycan,

You've seen a "gwx prompt" as displayed in that attachement in post#13, and you want to get rid of it?

Also you've been having some trouble where windows 10 is being offered and potentially, though you aren't fully sure if it is or isn't, being downloaded?

Have you uninstalled those updates KB3035583 and KB3044374?

Have you changed your update setting to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download"?

Do you know how to do each of those? if not I'll be happy to explain those things step by step.

Have you made a system image yet? Do you need further explanations of how to do so? You might not need it now but make one now and I promise one day you'll be glad of it.

Have you checked whether that bt folder is present on C:\? do you know how? Do you need me to give you a more step-by-step guide, I'll be happy to do so but I need to know if you need that or if the sort of things I've already been saying are things you can follow. I'm just trying to work out excatly your situation so I can work out excatly how to fix it, and alos I'm trying to work out how detailed my expanations need to be, if you don't know how to do any of the things I've mentioned then ask, there's nothing wrong with being a beginner, everyone was one once, I just need to know if you are unsure as to how to do these things, so I know what sort of explanations you need.

Edited by rp88, 05 October 2015 - 04:05 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Have you changed your update setting to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download"?
Do you know how to do each of those? if not I'll be happy to explain those things step by step.

Thanks .. Yes I have changed update settings (months ago), But I want the best or easiest for an old bloke like me to remove the KB items..

I have no current System Image, and would this be made after I remove any Win 10 from the system, and is a set of CDs enough (however many) ?

My final lines in each post should show that to my mind Win 10 is Not, and never was a full / free system, just a forced BETA for test machines.

I now have your and cptrgy's 2 posts to try and decipher as to a next step.

Please note that I am not saying to one and all "Kill this upgrade / set of updates", just that it is not for me and is 5 years away from me yet.

But those comments can be scrapped if required, as they are my version only. I will most likely die attempting to figure out Win 8.1

An Upgrade, as we are always told to call it, would not come hidden in parts of regular Security Updates, it would be openly placed on my desktop, with a Do you wish to change your Operating System, or Do you wish to stay with your current Operating System.

Sorry Blade I come close to your conditions, but I just want to know how this has gone down and (like many) how to fix it ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users