Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time lapse video - Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle route

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Here's a video I made this afternoon. I had been thinking of buying a "proper" time lapse camera, but took a look at the old camera I already have which is a Canon IXUS 70, and discovered that it has a time lapse option. I just taped it to the handlebars with duct tape. I wasn't expecting great results, but it turned out better than I thought it would.

Photo of my bicycle and some boats that I took when I got there:

loch_lomond_zpsgyzmrpb5.jpg

I was going to film the return leg as well, but the low battery warning was flashing on the camera when I arrived at Loch Lomond. So instead I decided to take a few stills on the way back, but the battery went flat after I took the first one: swans in the Forth and Clyde Canal.

swans_zps7h8wfc45.jpg

Edited by Al1000, 04 October 2015 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

Good job Al. I love it.

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Nick. I thought it would be good to show which way to go at all the junctions, as the route isn't particularly well signposted, at least for people like me who are used to looking at road signs rather than the tiny signs that are used on cycle routes. But although the video is clear enough when paused, it's too fast to make out which way I'm going at most of the junctions. I'll maybe have a look into some video editing software to see if I can slow it down, or else film the route again and make sure I slow down for the junctions so that other folk know which way to go.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

According to Google Maps, that's 33 miles one way? Impressive!

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

Google maps must be using a road route. I think it's about 21 - 22 miles using the cycle route, as about a mile or two into the journey I pass a sign that says "Loch Lomond 20 miles"

I have been looking into different ways of recording time lapse videos, and decided that the best way would be to record in real time then use video editing software to, for example, select every fifth frame. The only issue is that the SD card in my camera is 2GB which is only big enough for a 20 minute real time "HD" video, so I ordered a 16GB SD card the other day, which is big enough to outlast a charge in the camera's battery when recording video. :)

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

The Polaroid Cube for me looks pretty promising. It can shoot 1080p video and it's only 3.5x3.5x3.5 cm. I was thinking I could just speed the footage up in a video editor instead of selecting every other x frame to make a smoother time lapse.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Great video - I enjoyed it.

But it's no wonder your battery went flat - 5min47 secs of video at 25 fps equals about 8500 images. A lot of the route looks like old railway track which at least has the advantage of not having any steep hills.

What were you doing while your bike was leaning up against the railings at Loch Lomond ? Having a quiet pint to restore lost fluids ?

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 October 2015 - 07:25 PM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

What were you doing while your bike was leaning up against the railings at Loch Lomond ? Having a quiet pint to restore lost fluids ?

I hope it was more than 1 pint, How are we going to make an Australian out of him if he cant drink lots of beer.

#9 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Chris. The video is only playing at 15 fps, which of course doesn't really leave any scope for slowing it down. I used Avidemux to play around with it, but ended up leaving the frame rate alone.

15 fps seems to be the speed that the camera uses to record video in its "standard" mode, so when I record in the time lapse mode which I think was 1 fps, 15 fps is the speed that the camera plays it back at too.

I only stopped for long enough to take the photo and stretch my legs otherwise I would have cooled down too much. You'll appreciate that shorts and long-sleeved T-shirt isn't suitable attire for sitting around outdoors in Scotland in September. OTOH I could have put my jacket back on (the pause in cycling at just over 1 minute into the video was when I stopped to remove my jacket and put it in my rucksack), but I would have had to stop again on the way home to take it back off.

I hope it was more than 1 pint, How are we going to make an Australian out of him if he cant drink lots of beer.

LOL, I actually gave up drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in my early 20s when I decided that the hangover the next day just wasn't worth getting drunk the night before, although up until then I had made a point of drinking as much as possible whenever the opportunity arose, which was usually weekends, holidays and parties. I also like to be in full control of all of my senses nowadays, most of the time anyway, which is another reason for not drinking much. So nowadays four beers at a time is about as much as I would drink, and even then that doesn't happen often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users