Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major differences between Mac and Windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gejmer

gejmer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hi, until now I only came in contact with windows os and I'm considering using Mac too. 

I would like to know key technical differences between these two :

Windows                                                                           Mac

GUI                                start menu, task bar, toolbars, windows explorer                      ???????

bundled software           mediaplayer, IE, metro apps, Cortana, Office                           ???????

main things like               MyComputer, Control Panel, Recycle bin                                 ????????

features like                    autoplay, plug and play, system restore                                     ???????

file system                       FAT, NTFS                                                                                  ???????

file types                          .exe, .dll, .jpg                                                                                 ???????

frameworks                       activex, .NET framework                                                                ??????

APIs                                  directx                                                                                             ??????

shell                                  command prompt                                                                             ?????

kernel type                        hybrid kernel                                                                                    ?????               

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

Ultimately, the best way for you see the differences it to "play" with a Mac. In other words, if you can, go to a store (Apple Store or Best Buy in the US...Apple Store abroad) and try it out.

In general, the GUI is very similar, but there are differences. Instead of a Start Menu, the Mac has the Dock.  Instead of the Task Bar, it has the "status menus" in the Menu Bar.  Many Mac apps will have toolbars similar in nature to Windows, but ALL Mac programs (at least that conform to Apple "standards" will still have menus, unlike some Windows programs which have transitioned to the "Ribbon").  Instead of Windows Explorer, the Mac has the Finder.  In general, while these items are technically different, you will find that they work very similar.

For bundled software, that is a loaded question terms.  First of all, Office is not necessarily "bundled" with Windows on Windows computer (nor on Macs)...it is usually a separate purchase, although some Windows computers will have Office included by the computer manufacturer.  The Mac will have QuickTime & iTunes instead of Windows Media Player.  The Mac will have Safari instead of IE.  The Mac does not have a direct comparison to the dichotomy of Metro apps vs traditional apps like Windows 8 or newer does, but it does have an app store that serves the same purpose as the Metro app store.

For Mac, you will have the Finder and/or Hard Drive icon on the desktop to be similar to My Computer.  System Preferences serves the function of Control Panels on the Mac.  Trash serves the function of Recycle Bin on the Mac.

A Mac will read NTFS and will read/write to FAT, but has its own disk format system of HFS+.

File types are kind of the same, but not the same.  Typical "file" files will be the same (i.e. .jpg, .docx, .pdf, etc), but you can have it such that file extensions are not shown on the Mac as they don't quite work the same as in Windows.  In other words, there is not necessarily a direct comparison.

The Mac uses a UNIX shell for a command prompt if you want to do such a thing.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Well the real question you must ask yourself is are you sure a Mac in general is right for you, I personally think Macs are a waste as there are several key factors:

If you are a gamer, good luck on a Mac

If you like upgrading hardware, again good luck

If you like having to go to the apple store for replacement/repairs again good luck.

If this were five years ago I would say a Mac would be a great alternative to a PC but Apple has really degenerated recently as if you look at ther newer computers they are obviously gearing up for going iphone/ipad only.

Want optical drives, you have to buy an external

Want more ram you have to buy apple specific ram.

Really if you must buy Mac go refurbished, but even there its overpriced hardware where if you buy a new PC it would have better specs for far less.

I obviously have strong opinions, but its not like I love windows.

Really if you want to try an alternate OS there is Linux, Linux can run on any hardware and does not have apples outdated restrictions.

The whole Mac VS PC debate is a utter crock of crap in the end, its the OS is where things are truly different 

In the end I say Macs are overpriced pieces of crap, same hardware you can buy for far less and with the right skills build your own

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 October 2015 - 03:33 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:11 PM

Just a couple of quick observations.

I switched for my small business when my Dell windows 7 machine started having hardware problems.

Installed Office for Mac. Have not noticed a lot of differences in word.

If you ever use Paint for simple editing you probally will be disapointed with the "Almost" like paint programs out there.

Seems like they may do 90% of what paint did but not quire everything.

Quickbooks for MAC is usable but has annoying quirks. Almost like they wanted to slightly hobble it so as not to upset Microsoft

Also I have found out that each yearly version of Quickbook for Mac is centered around the OS current at the time.

Regarding Linux and bvuilding your own. I guess this is good advice if you are really into computers.

I just want this thing to work for my small business needs.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

Just a couple of quick observations.

I switched for my small business when my Dell windows 7 machine started having hardware problems.

Installed Office for Mac. Have not noticed a lot of differences in word.

If you ever use Paint for simple editing you probally will be disapointed with the "Almost" like paint programs out there.

Seems like they may do 90% of what paint did but not quire everything.

Quickbooks for MAC is usable but has annoying quirks. Almost like they wanted to slightly hobble it so as not to upset Microsoft

Also I have found out that each yearly version of Quickbook for Mac is centered around the OS current at the time.

Regarding Linux and bvuilding your own. I guess this is good advice if you are really into computers.

I just want this thing to work for my small business needs.

For small businesses yeah Maybe a Mac is a good idea, but for home computing use nothing beats the might one could build with skill and patience.

The only difference between what i personally can build and the best Mac is a shiny apply logo and over a $1000 Price tag.

I dread what they plan for a new car, it would probably have the same parts a a goddamned Ford Pinto yet cost the same price as a Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita all becasuse it has a apple logo on its hood.

It would also not have a steering wheel, a gas intake that would change every generation and require special fuel.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 October 2015 - 10:05 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

I'm not a big Mac expert, but I can tell you that Windows is a whole lot better than Mac.

-Macs have such a small software selection compared to Windows

-You need specific hardware to upgrade Macs

-Not many computer support places offer support for Macs

-Computers with Mac OS X are generally more expensive than those with Windows

Edited by gigawert, 18 October 2015 - 03:46 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

I'm not a big Mac expert, but I can tell you that Windows is a whole lot better than Mac.

-Macs have such a small software selection compared to Windows

-You need specific hardware to upgrade Macs

-Not many computer support places offer support for Macs

-Computers with Mac OS X are generally more expensive than those with Windows

Well the first one could be got around, there is bootcamp after all

But yeah the rest is true

At least as a linux user I am fully aware of the limitations and can live with them, and unlike OSX it is free

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

Windows                                                                           Mac

GUI                                start menu, task bar, toolbars, windows explorer                      Dock, Finder, Mission Control, Spotlight

bundled software           mediaplayer, IE, metro apps, Cortana, Office                           Many of the built-in apps

main things like               MyComputer, Control Panel, Recycle bin                                 Has System Preferences to change Settings, Trash for Recycle Bin, Macs have                                                                                                                                             a different concept for My Computer, as the drives don't have letters

features like                    autoplay, plug and play, system restore                                    Compatible with many periphirals and has Migration Assistant to move from                                                                                                                                                 Mac to Mac, or Windows to Mac, and Time Machine for backup

file system                       FAT, NTFS                                                                                  HFS, HFSPlus, FAT, exFAT, NTFS (read-only)

file types                          .exe, .dll, .jpg                                                                               In Macs, there is a different concept again, and although it does support many Windows programs' extensions like .jpg, .doc, .docx, Mac relies on this, bundled folders (folders with extension that are apps, or other things like frameworks), and it can open files without extension using MIME types

frameworks                       activex, .NET framework                                                            AppKit, CoreAudio, and a lot of other frameworks (check Apple's developer                                                                                                                                                 website for all of the details and the entire list)

APIs                                  directx                                                                                        OpenGL, Metal

shell                                  command prompt                                                                         Terminal

kernel type                        hybrid kernel   (NT)                                                                      Mach Kernal with BSD running in kernal (hybrid)  

However, the best way to understand Macs are to use them, and you can run Windows as a VM using Parallels, or VMWare Fusion, or natively using BootCamp Assistant.

If you do want to know really technical things, then read these John Siracusa's reviews (these are really long):

Although he stopped writing reviews now, you can see El Capitan's review from Andrew Cunningham who also wrote a detailed (not as good as Siracusa's) review

El Capitan Review

Hope it helps you on your decision

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

I have read several articles on building a Hackintosh that my be something you want to look into.  With all the issues with W10 I myself am thinking of trying it on one of my machines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hackintosh+2015&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 EliteMacTechs

EliteMacTechs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

Windows or Macs are two of the mostly commonly used operating system.

Here are few major arguments that is going between them: http://lifehacker.com/mac-vs-windows-your-best-arguments-486125257

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

I'm going to chip in my own thoughts on hackintosh / customac:
1. It requires an existing mac to download the installer onto.
2. It requires significant pre-planning before your build - check out the build guides at tonymacx86.
3. It requires specialized software to trick OSX into thinking it is running on a mac. This software has a somewhat complicated setup, and can be difficult for new users.
4. Technically speaking, it is a breach of the EULA to install OSX on a non-apple branded computer. While huge communities exist that do this without thinking, it's your call if its ethical or not for you.
5. Not everything will work with the computer. For example, one hackintosh I built did not have microphone or wifi support.

I'm honestly not a big fan of mac due to them being overpriced as many have said. However YMMV: Some of my friends love their Macs. I'd try it at a shop that sells them or on a VM.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users