Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you what happened to windows "9"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Looks like Windows is a reality maybe a WAS!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2362902/microsoft-china-accidentally-confirms-that-windows-9-is-coming-soon?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=Cpc&utm_campaign=Inquirer%252BReferral&WT.mc_is=977=obinsource

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2015 - 05:18 AM.
Moved from W10 Support to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

Well, Microsoft changed the name to Windows 10 very early, even before marketing it due to compatibility issues with apps that check to see if "Windows 9" is the name of Windows, then it will run the code for Windows 95/98

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

I personally think they made a mess of it (physically and financially) and jumped out as soon as they could.

Grinler here reviewed what he called Windows 9, but pulled it once it became Win 10.

My thoughts have always been that 8.1 was Windows 9, since it was a great enough change.

But I am not aware of these things, and they live in my head only.

I posted to the other Windows 10 area, and this could be regarded as "opinion only" also.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

Seven ate Nine?  haha.gif

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

No, Win10 is really Windows 9 and Dime.  The 'Dime' is the nickel and diming you to death for the taken-away features and the App Store.  :bananas:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:28 AM

The reason why they didn't call it Windows 9 is because of this:

There’s also the fact that the name of each Windows release doesn’t actually match thereal version number. For example, Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3 of Windows. Windows 10 is version 6.4. The last time the release name actually matched the version number was the enterprise-focused Windows NT 4.0, which was released back in 1996. Windows 2000, which was called NT 5.0 during development, was actually version 5.0. Windows XP was version 5.1. Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 is version 6.3.

Windows RT, which only ran Metro apps, was a new and separate beast, but it still sat on top of the core Windows NT kernel.

An ExtremeTech reader called Benny sent us an email to say that the number 9 is considered unlucky in Japan. Microsoft has a big enough presence in Japan that it may have skipped Windows 9 to avoid any weirdness or ill will. Benny says that Trend Micro — a Japanese company — did the same thing a few years ago when it skipped version 9 of its antivirus software.

And then there's no Windows 11 except for the ongoing threshold of Windows 10 which will be Microsoft's Final Version

#7 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

WOW            "a rose by any other name.............."

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

Asking about Windows 9 is about asking about the best Antivirus program, every body has another idea.

These include 8.1 is W.9, W.9 was shelved as the project "screwed up" , W.10 is 9 with a bit extra., they thought it crossed back to W95 and 98 and would be confused , there was never a W.9 planned ,,,,,

Yadda , Yadda , ad infinitum .............

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users