Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 different HP laptop HDD failed - can BIOS be responsible?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 caseyjay

caseyjay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi, I have 2 HP laptops (2510p & nc2400) laptop and one 1.8 ZIF drive (Hitachi 60gb).  Running Win7 for years and occasionally swapped disk between laptops and had no problems.

I upgraded to Win10 on the 2510p all ok.  To see how it would work on the nc2400 so swapped across the HDD but couldn't post - after further tests I reckon the nc2400 motherboard has failed.

When I popped HDD back into the 2510p it failed to boot - not detected in BIOS. Returns the "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

I swapped out the ZIF interface but no luck.  I guessed I somehow had killed the disk. I figured if I got another disk I could see if it was a mainboard or disk problem.

I bought another 2510p with broken LCD and 80gb disk running XP. Here's what I did next:

1. Checked disk in the donor laptop, running some custom boot script but got it running into XP

2. Booted disk in my own 2510p - stalled at black screen with some unintelligible text, turned off

3. Put Win7 DVD media in 2510p and restarted - this time booted into XP - confirms that my MB was ok

4. Put disk back into donor laptop, idea being to upgrade OS from there.

5. Won't boot - I saw an 'imminent drive failure' message then returns the 'no bootable device' as above.

So in short,

1st Hard drive worked ok in my laptop, but failed after I booted it up in another laptop.

2nd Hard drive worked ok in donor laptop, but failed after it had once booted in another laptop.

I dare not put a 3rd one in my main laptop - but now have 3 laptops, 2 working screens, 2 working Mainboards but no drives.

Wondering then if BIOS settings in my 2510p could affect this?

Otherwise, how do hard drives fail?  thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users