Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service pack 4 for XP article

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Looks like something well worth looking into at your own discretion, I still have on lappy with XP so I am smiling!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2362314/windows-xp-gets-an-unofficial-service-pack-4?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=Cpc&utm_campaign=Inquirer%252BReferral&WT.mc_is=977=obinsource

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

It includes the know registry hack to make the computer look like a POSready machine. It is unsupported but I have had no issues on a XP computer since using the hack. Others may have a different experience.

Edit: I am speaking of the registry hack only. I did not install SP4.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 October 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

To be honest I am not a big fan of unofficial fixes and hacks, since they can cause problems within the OS.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

Microsoft already warned against that Registry Hack, since the updates that are being pushed are for POS devices, not home Windows XP computers and therefore it's possible that these updates could break the system.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Sounds like...calling the plumber to handle an electrical problem in your home, IMO :).

The idea that some agency other than Microsoft...can maintain a MS product which is unsupported...with "beta" "updates"...just seems too far-fetched to even want to be a part of, particularly so since the provider of such takes no responsibility at all for what may go on with the system after installing the provided package.

I wonder what all those persons expressing concern over Microsoft's "invastion of privacy" and "spying"...would have to say when presented with such an "opportunity" from a 3d-party agency with no liability and no credibility regarding what this "SP4" actually is and does :).

Note that the article is a year old...and there haven't been any critical updates released for XP during said timespan.  The idea of installing updates developed for POS systems...seems to assume an interchange between versions of Windows that I had not realized were in existence.

Oh, well...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2015 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users