Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios image appears, then black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckleluck

Chuckleluck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Yesterday my PC was working perfect. Zero problems. I shut it off for the night, then turn it on this morning. The BIOS image appears, and then it goes to a black screen. I can't do *anything*. I've tried putting in the Windows disc to try repairing, but it won't let me boot to the disc. There's never any option to. I've tried spamming F8 for safe mode and Delete/F2 to enter the BIOS, but nothing changes. It goes straight to the black screen.

Any help in resolving this issue would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel i5 processor
gtx 970 Video card
16gb ram
Asus p8z77-v pro motherboard

EDIT: Probably should've done this in the first place. Unplugged everything but the power and monitor cables and it works now.

Edited by Chuckleluck, 04 October 2015 - 02:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

#3 Chuckleluck

Chuckleluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

So I thought I had fixed it yesterday, but today the issue came up again. I've unplugged everything except the monitor and power cables. Now it doesn't even get past the BIOS image. Instead, a black box appears over the BIOS picture (attached). Please help!

Attached Files

Edited by Chuckleluck, 05 October 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

So what happens if you press Del or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS as the message suggests?

Since it appears that you have the installation disk for your version of Windows 7 try doing the following to run the Startup Repair.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc for the specific version you have installed.  If you have the installation disc needed to do the repair installation scroll down to Part B and follow the Repair Installation Instructions from there.

If your copy of Windows 7 is a retail copy and you do not have a disc, you can download a ISO image from Microsoft using the link below.

If your copy of Windows 7 isn't a retail copy you can download Windows 7 Pro from here.  This is not a torrent.  Scroll down till you find the Download buttons, click on the version which the same as yours, 32-bit or 64-bit.  When you press the button the download will begin.  You will want to download this to your desktop so that it will be easy to find.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a disc.

Part A

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  Right click on the ISO file on your desktop

3.  Click on Burn disc image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

Repair Installation Instructions

Part B

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Chuckleluck

Chuckleluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

Pressing Delete/F2 leads to a black screen. It never gives the option to boot from the Windows recovery disk, because it never gets past the BIOS screen.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second device.  This way the computer will try to boot from the optical drive first.  Place the disc in the drive tray and restart the computer.  You should receive a message stating something to the effect of "press and key to boot from the disc".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Chuckleluck

Chuckleluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

No, I would hit Delete/F2 (the keys it said to boot into the BIOS) and it would just go to a black screen.

However, I think I'm getting closer to fixing the issue.  I was eventually able to get it running, but I'm still not sure what the underlying cause was and I'm fairly certain it'll appear next time I start my PC.  This is how I got it running:

I read somewhere that my issue could be caused by bad RAM.  My power supply has a manual switch to turn off power to my PC, so I switched that off first, then unplugged the power cable.  My case is a Rosewill THOR v2, which has a large fan attached to the side panel.  I detached the panel and unplugged the cable that plugs the fan into the motherboard.  Then, before I started testing RAM, I thought I'd try booting one more time.  I left the side panel off (and the side fan unplugged), plugged the power cable back in and set the manual switch to allow power to the PC.  Turned it on, and it booted into Windows correctly.

This makes me think its either:

• The power supply, because I unplugged/plugged back in the power cable and messed with the manual power switch, or
  • The large side fan somehow interfering with the motherboard, because the PC booted up properly when it was unplugged

I'm somewhat of a PC novice (especially when it comes to hardware) so if either of these theories sound plausible, please let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users