Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password / reset stick for 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mhealy68

mhealy68

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi, I lost password and my reset stick for ASUS laptop running Windows 8.1 .

Is there a safe way to get in without Restoring and losing saved data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

There is a slight problem with this type of issue.  The unfortunate fact of the matter is that we have no way of determining if you are the legal owner of this computer or not.  And one of our forum rules reads in part ....

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

This is probably a innocent situation, but I can't personally decide if this is the truth.

Obviously have have access to another computer, so I would suggest purchasing an external enclosure which you can connect via a USB port and access your data and save it to removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, etc.  You can purchase an external enclosure at Newegg for $9.00 + tax, shipping is free.  This includes the cables and instructions.

After that you can go online and Google for solutions which may be able to help you to retrieve your password.  I suspect that you will not be able to use the System Recovery Partition to reinstall the operating system without the password.  You could try wiping the C: partition and then using the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system and go from there.  You might be able to use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite that partition.  You are going to need to be very careful not to let anything happen to the recovery partition, otherwise you will be calling the manufacturer of this computer to get the installation media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users