Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 15 No Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KAPM

KAPM

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hello,

I have very limited knowledge and am trying to help my son with his laptop.  It has had a No Boot device message for the last couple days.  I reseated the hard drive and ran PSA Pre-boot System Assessment resulting in error code 2000-0142 on the hard drive.  Assuming we need to replace the hard drive, but have seen some information when researching that indicates it may be windows 8 related.  What would you suggest for our next step?  Also, he doesn't have a backup, recovery disk, or OS software so any guidance on that front would be greatly appreciated if we need to repair or replace the OS.  Thank you for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

If this is a OEM computer the manufacturer will have placed a System Recovery partition on the hdd in order to return the operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  This type of installation is destructive, it will remove anything which has been added since the first time it was fired up and anything added.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KAPM

KAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 15.  On the box it came in I see i15RV-10000BLK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users