Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

opening Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

I used system restore to solve a problem and my Firefox desktop shortcut stopped working. It won't open through All Programs either- it still gives me the shortcut error message (which says it can't find Firefox.exe by the way). I couldn't find Firefox.exe in the Mozilla Firefox folder but did find it in Windows Prefetch folder. How to fix? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

I would simply install the most currernt version of Firefox.

Louis

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

I wish that was simple for me but with my very slow dial-up speed it takes hours to download that much and sometimes my connection drops out which makes things worse. I would also just like to gain some knowledge if it's doable in case in happens again. If not an easy thing to figure out it would be quicker for me to just try an older restore point and restore again. I would loose some things doing that but not much. thanks again

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

[rjs deleted - must download FF from another computer & sneaker-net onto problem computer]

Edited by RolandJS, 05 October 2015 - 02:33 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

I checked the properties of shortcut which path is c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe. This seems right but it says it's invalid. Mozilla Firefox folder appears to be intact except I can only find an .exe file in text files. Will an earlier system restore point possibly fix this or is another download of FF the only answer? thanks again What is sneaker-net exactly?

#6 db2x4

db2x4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:22 AM

What system OS you're using?

let's try this solve

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6_tYD-fbDYSbi1XcEtDZFVJa0E

reg and restart you PC

Dnai. Thailand

*moderator edit: Bleeping Computer does not allow direct download links..

From here (and it applies to ALL forums) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

Posting of direct downloads links for any software is NOT permitted from file uploading/downloading hosting sites, personal sites and file sharing sites. This is for the safety of our members since Bleeping Computer has no control of files hosted at such sites.

Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 October 2015 - 01:17 PM.
link removed

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Sneaker-net means to copy what is needed from a working computer onto either a USB stick, or burned to a DVD, plugged into the nonWorking computer, copied onto said computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

You need to re-install firefox, that's how you fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users