Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Notebook for work, gaming and university

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pcibus

pcibus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I intend to buy a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet for pretty much all purposes.

Laptop or Desktop?
Laptop, strongly prefered with touchscreen functionality and revertable/dettachable keybord

My budget for the new computer is:
Generally <=1000€. I'd like to spend as little money as possible. My main goal is to get my current PCs performance in a mobile device, not getting the best hardware available for 1000€.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
I just started going university and will have to travel a lot. Until now I've been using a quite good desktop PC for gaming and a cheap notebook for work. Now I will need the desktop pc's performance but don't want to take it with me all the time. So I'm thinking about selling the notebook and the desktop PC and getting a notebook/tablet that has (at least) the desktop PC's performance for gaming, working, studying and for use while traveling.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
I spend a lot of time using the PC for gaming and working. So I do safe a lot of stuff to the hard drive and I tend to run some programs simultaneously (e.g. games, music, IM, skype, steam, ...). I usually play modern games, but don't need to play them on the highest graphic options available. I'll list my current PC specs below. The new one should have at least these specs.

Will you be overclocking?
No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
I'm open for suggestions. I'd also be interested in very slightly used products (like 'bad buys', not sure if that's the right translation though). 

How many monitors are you planning to use?
0 to 2 additional monitors, depending on location.

Do you need peripherals? OS?
Got peripherals, but Windows OS would be nice.

My current PC:

• Nvdidia GTX 650 (Green Edition)
  • i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB SATA harddrive

I've searched for a laptop myself already and it seems that these specs would be obtainable in a regular notebooke quite cheap. Yet I couldn't find one which can be used as a tablet as well (like a surface, but doesn't need to be that pretty/thin). The 1000€ is the upper cap for the price, I hope you can find something cheaper. Thanks in advance. Let me now if you need any additional information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

Consider also purchasing at least one external [I have platter-clatter ones] HD if not two; purchase either Acronis True Image or go with Macrium Reflect Pro [I bought pro because of its WinPE-Macrcium USB/DVD boot support]; make it a habit to once-twice-thrice monthly backup your OS and data partitions via images.

I mention the above because your college stuff and work stuff need to be protected by all possible ways and means.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 October 2015 - 02:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users