Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice on a TV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Timbo the Big Chief

Timbo the Big Chief

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

OK, I keep getting this message that I've never made a post to the site and that I should - so here it is...

I'm not a computer guy...just a sucker for the arcade. Anyway, I do need advice on getting a TV. Would appreciate feedback from anyone with knowledge on what's best right now (for the money) - DLP, LCD, Plasma, regular projection TV, etc...

Ideally, I think I want to wall mount a thin TV (whether it's plasma, LCD, DLP, or whatever), but if they're too expensive, a stand-type TV will do too. I'm looking in the 40-ish inch range for size, and I'm not sure if I should get Hi-def either. I'm not convinced it's worth it. First, I'd have to get another Direct TV dish installed (maybe cut down more trees too), pay more money, and there's not enough programming offered in high-def anyway. And I don't know, but regular programming (in other words, non hi-def programs) seems to look bad on large high-def ready TVs - fuzzy images, halos around distant objects, blurriness on fast moving images, especially sports...

Anyone got any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

Also, what brands do you like or dislike?
Also, what's the difference between HD-ready and HD-built in? Is one better than the other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

So many questions from someone whose brother graduated from Cornell.....more on that later.

Couple of things. HD is worth it. Yes, there are few programs now, but football games, Discovery, Sopranos, etc are great.

What technology you embrace depends on size of budget, and size of viewing area. Plasmas are wonderful for size (of the unit) and for the deepest blacks (picture). They no longer have burn in problems, but can still be quite pricey.

DLP's are great for the price, but won't be as thin. LCD's will probably surpass them all when they get the technology / price point up to speed. I think Samsung came out with a 40 LCD inch, which is the biggest to date, but it is listed at $10,000.

Lastly, you have standard direct view sets. Sony's XBR line has a 40 inch hi defintion set that is wonderful, but weighs 215 pounds. Yet, you can get it for under $2,000

Confused?

Best place to start is with size and budget. Once you are there, your choices are narrowed down. If you don't have at least $3,800 for a plasma (including stand, mounting bracket, shipping and tax), I wouldn't get one. If you are in the sub $1,000 range they are many direct view options that go hi definition.

Last thing to remember is with margins so tight, and competition so rampant, you get what you pay for. Sure you will pay a 10% premium for a Fujitsu plasma or a 20% premium on a Sony television, but in my opinion, it is worth it.

Stay simple, do your research. Also, take note to all the people that bash my opinion.

I think you need two dishes to go HD for Direct TV, but I could be wrong.

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:16 PM

:thumbsup: and :flowers: to BC, Timbo the Big Chief . Yeah, I know you was in the arcade for a while, but the message boards can be a blast as well. Just give it a chance.

As far as the type of TV that you want (which is an awesome question), it does depend alot on the money, and space that you have. If you can post back with that information, I can provide a few links for you.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:43 PM

Yeah money matter when going 4 that big of a size and HD........

They can run way up there at walmart there 2000+ 42in plus hd I think!

#5 Timbo the Big Chief

Timbo the Big Chief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:09 PM

thanks fellas
gedalneil, you never gave more on the cornell thing...
jason, to answer your questions, i got plenty o' space...big room to fill
and as for money - i'm hoping to spend no more than 2500, but let's say i could go anywhere between 1500 and 3000, with the likelihood of me getting something at the higher end of that range decreasing exponentially as you get higher

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:49 AM

I hope that you have a Best Buy, or similar store nearby, because I would not want to pay for the shipping on that :thumbsup: . Give me about 3 or 4 stores that are by you, and I will get you a few links based on your price range. I will also look at what Wal Mart has available, because 90% of the population is by one of those just for the saturation that they have. Typically I do not buy electronics from them, but...lets see what they have.

I can tell you the difference between HD-ready and HD built-in. The first one requires a HD receiver, and the other one already has it. If you have cable, then you have to get a cable box that has HD connections on it (not sure about satelite). I do not know if that counts as the receiver or not, but I will find out for you.

#7 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

it truly amazes me that all these "techies" haven't asked what i feel is one of the more important questions: where are you?

i live at 7000 ft altitude...and plasma tv's are having an AWFUL time up here. of course, i've yet to find a common salesperson who will tell you that. but altitude has an effect on many things most of you in the lower climes wouldn't think twice about. the new windows, with the gas chamber? not in high altitude..the gas just leaks right out. i have a good friend who does all the ordering for sam's club here...they won't even carry the plasma tv's anymore..they just come back.

just a small "fyi"!

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

That is a good point nmdamgud.

I am in SE TX so that is a much lower altitude then most of America. Timbo the Big Chief is in southern Georgia, so I do not think that altitude would make much of a difference.

If someone lives in a higher altitude, there will be some electronics that will have a hard time working properly. I do not know this from experience, but just what I have read from others.

#9 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:03 AM

Timbo,
I am friends with you brother.

Sorry for the late post. For the price range you are talking about, I would look for the best HD Standard television. It will be the best bang for the buck since you have the room.

You might want to look at some sets that are 16X9 already. Tell me if you have read this, I can help you.

Didn't know about plasmas at high altitude, that is amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users