Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 strychinine

strychinine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

My computer has been running fine for the past year and when I woke up this morning it would no longer boot. The only irregularity is that the night before this when I shut the computer off through Windows the fans went from normal to max for just a few seconds before the computer turned off.

What I know so far:

1) When I try to turn on the computer only the CPU and case fans spin and nothing else boots up (monitor is black and no sound of any activity aside from the fans).

2) The power supply has passed the paper clip test.

3) I have removed graphics card, sound card and non-OS hard disks and only using 1 stick of ram - did not boot

4) I did manage to boot up the system for 1 hr. when I removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard and everything was working normally until it turned itself off. During that time (using Speccy), cpu, gpu and hdd/sdd temperatures were fine. (with everything plugged in again (r9 280 etc..)

5) Have not been able to replicate the miracle.

Custom built computer:

Intel i5 4690

Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3

Gigabyte R9 280 Videocard

8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

Asus Xonar DG

Crucial 120GB SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

EVGA 600B PSU

Edited by strychinine, 03 October 2015 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

I think the clue lies in that CMOS battery.  Replace it.  Inspect the coin cell holder for any corrosion.  The CMOS battery holds the BIOS settings when the unit is off and with a faulty, shorted cell,  or poor voltage can cause a score of intermittent, unrelated faults.  The boot after cell removal is the clue, it worked after removal, once.  Also check the default setting jumper if the MOBO has one, it wouldn't hurt to default from there or in BIOS.

#3 strychinine

strychinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:54 PM

I have replaced the CMOS battery with a new one but it won't boot up.  Have tried using the clear cmos jumper to short the thing a few times but no luck.  I actually booted the computer that one time without having one in my motherboard at all.

Edited by strychinine, 03 October 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Without a functioning video card and no (assumed) on board video, the BIOS will not start.  It might be best to look at the power traces on the MOBO to the card slot and any external connector for power to the video card.

#5 strychinine

strychinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:07 AM

Resolved, it was due to a faulty power supply. Specifically the pci-e cables were not providing power to my video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users