Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I hate Flash - can I use another player?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

I've not only heard many problems with Flash Player, but have had some bad experiences with it myself - not all were their fault, though. It's too vulnerable to abusers.

I keep going to sites that use Flash player, so I can't view the videos. I have the VLC player, which is outstanding.

How can I get Flash videos to play on VLC - by default, if possible?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2015 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

It doesn't work that way. If a video player uses Flash, you have no choice. I use Chrome and Flash has been replaced by html5. So things are trending towards Flash being phased out. But I doubt that Flash will ever disappear completely.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

I use Firefox browser........I have flash installed, but I have the plug in set to "ask to activate"....so if something insists on using flash, then I simply click the 'activate button' at the top of the browser page.

Otherwise, I find that at least 90% of youtube stuff plays via html5, automatically with no fuss at all.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

I still think there must be a way to make Flash videos play in another player. VLC is a fantastic player, and it plays virtually any kind of video extension.

I have already used VLC to substitute for another player, so I know it can be done. Sorry, but I don't remember the player that allowed VLC to play. I do remember receiving popups so I could give permission for this. Once given, there were no further problems.

So now I'd like to do likewise with Flash. Why should it be so hard?

Can someone tell me the extension Flash uses? Then I could instruct VLC to open those files.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

Because Flash is a web technology and VLC is a standalone player that is used as an alternative for those of us who can't stand Windows Media Player. Apples and oranges. Besides, viral video sites like Youtube which is where most users watch videos aren't using Flash anymore. They are switching to html5. So Flash is rapidly becoming a non issue. VLC isn't meant to be used the way you want to use it.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

SWF is a file extension for a Shockwave Flash file format created by Macromedia and now owned by Adobe. SWF stands for Small Web Format. SWF files can contain video and vector based animations and sound and are designed for efficient delivery over the web.
What is SWF? - WhatIs.com - TechTarget

whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/SWF-Object-ShockWave-Flash

Really not worth screwing around with IMO....Flash is a thing of the past....HTML5 is the way to go.....

2.0.5 introduces an important number of fixes for MKV, SWF, AIFF, RTSP, subtitles and encoding.

Edited by Condobloke, 06 October 2015 - 07:15 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

For extra security against flash based (and other) exploits you can run the Noscript extension in firefox, this makes drive-by infectins almost impossible. As yet though if you give up on flash there will be some sites on which you cannot watch videos because some sites do not yet use html5 video and only flash player can, as far as I know, play online flash videos. But in a year or so I expect there will be very few sites still using flash for videos.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

I have trouble reading the image, and the accompanying video doesn't look like it's using Windows 7.

Is it true that there is a download that makes this conversion? If so, where can I find it, and can it be used in W7?

I know Flash is on the way out, but it'll be years before nobody is using it. Meanwhile, I'm blocked from many videos on news sites that I wanted to see, but use Flash. I will NOT reinstall Flash just to see a few of those.

If I can use W7, can you walk me through the clicks I'd need to make? Because my eyes aren't good enough to read the images, even on full screen video.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users