Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Healthy Drive will not allow Drive Letter to be assigned

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jmaychang

jmaychang

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

BACKGROUND:

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA drive that worked fine in a Windows XP computer that belongs to my elderly Dad.

Then one day after the machine sat for a few months it would not power up. I suspected the power supply but before I had a chance to look at it, my dad took it to some small shop repair place he found in the yellow pages and they told him the MB AND the HDD was bad because “it was old.” I think they were just trying to sell a new computer to my Dad.

I was suspicious so, not having a compatale power supply to replace the old one with, I took the drive out placed it into an know good external case and plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop as an external to see if could get the data off.

DRIVE BEHAVIOR:

1. The Drive spins up
  2. Shows up in Device Manager with no errors
  3. Shows up in Disk Manager as a Disk1 Healthy Primary partition but I cannot assign a drive letter  (option grayed out). The only option availalbe is Delete Partition.
  4. UPDATE: Drive DOES show up as DISK1 in Diskpart LIST DISK.
  5. Drive does NOT show up in Computer

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Is there another way to assign a drive letter so it will show in Computer and I can get the data off?
  2. What would happen if I make it a Virtual Drive?
  3. Or, is the drive really bad?

Edited by jmaychang, 03 October 2015 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hello, and Welcome,

It could be a bad enclosure. When you used Diskpart you used the list disk command, correct?

See if taking ownership of the drive lets you change the letter. The video is for Vista but the same applies to Windows 7.

Other option: Burn a Puppy Linux iso to a CD. Boot Puppy. On the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives listed. Attach the external drive. You will see a USB icon appear next to the DVD icon. It will most likely be called sdb1. If there is more than one partition on the external they will be labeled sdb1...sdb2  depending on the number of partitions. Click once on the sdb partition. The disk will automatically mount and you should see the files on the hard drive. 

Your Windows 7 partition would probably be sda2. Click once on it and if you do not see your Windows files close out the file manager and try another partition. You can highlight the files/folders on the XP disk using Ctrl+ left clicking or by windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted folders to the Windows 7 file manager window. A small dialog window will appear. Click copy and quiet. You only need to click once on a folder in Puppy to open it.

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

#3 jmaychang

jmaychang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply JohnC_21

- Enclosuer is known good. Works with another external drive I have.

- I did a LIST DISK and IT DOES SHOW there as Disk1 - I probally did not use the right command. (UPDATED first post to reflect this)

- I can not take ownership because the drive does not show up in "Computer"

- My laptop CD drive is not working so I can not try the Puppy Linux suggestion

Edited by jmaychang, 03 October 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR for the partition scheme. Where is shows FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file. Press start. Backup any data on the flash drive first.

You can assign a letter using diskpart.

diskpart

list volume

select volume X  where X is the volume number of the Windows XP partition

assign letter=X   where X is any letter you want outside of your current last letter.

exit

#5 jmaychang

jmaychang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

I will try the Rufus soon.  In the meantime I can see the DISK1 in LIST DISK but there are not Volumes that show up with LIST VOLUME so I can not use that utility to assign a drive letter.  Any other suggestions?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

Try the following commands

list disk

select disk X   X being the external

list partition   can you get a partition list?  

select partition X  =  X being the main windows partition if there is more than one partition on the disk

detail partition

detail partition should give a volume number which would be the same number as the partition

#7 jmaychang

jmaychang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

This is what Detail Partition returns:

Partition 1

Type: 44

Hidden: Yes

Active: Yes

Offset in bytes: 32356

There is no volume associated with this partion.

Now what?

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

A type 44 drive has GoBack installed. This removes the master boot record, and replaces the partition table with a single partition. GoBack allows you to roll back a hard drive to an earlier version, in cases where this may be necessary. It's sort of a volume shadow copy service for the hard drive. Gateway computers used to come with it installed by default.

The problem is the changes GoBack makes to the drive means some disk partitioning and recovery tools won't work on it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

See this post courtesy of BC member sageinblue.  Maybe it will work for you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74951/how-to-get-around-norton-goback/

#10 jmaychang

jmaychang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thanks sflatechguy - That explains a lot. I forgot that my Dad installed that. JohnC_21 and I will give it a try.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

@sflatechguy, I would like to thank you for spotting that partition type. I probably would have overlooked that.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

I saw the word hidden in an above post.  A drive cannot be both hidden and be drive-letter assignable.  Something similar to Acronis Drive Director can un-hide a drive, make it either primary or logical, and I believe then you can use Windows diskmanager to assign a driver letter.  I just now saw the origin date -- oh well, this may be useful to another person with a similar situation.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 October 2015 - 01:32 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users