I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA drive that worked fine in a Windows XP computer that belongs to my elderly Dad.
Then one day after the machine sat for a few months it would not power up. I suspected the power supply but before I had a chance to look at it, my dad took it to some small shop repair place he found in the yellow pages and they told him the MB AND the HDD was bad because “it was old.” I think they were just trying to sell a new computer to my Dad.
I was suspicious so, not having a compatale power supply to replace the old one with, I took the drive out placed it into an know good external case and plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop as an external to see if could get the data off.
- The Drive spins up
- Shows up in Device Manager with no errors
- Shows up in Disk Manager as a Disk1 Healthy Primary partition but I cannot assign a drive letter (option grayed out). The only option availalbe is Delete Partition.
- UPDATE: Drive DOES show up as DISK1 in Diskpart LIST DISK.
- Drive does NOT show up in Computer
- Is there another way to assign a drive letter so it will show in Computer and I can get the data off?
- What would happen if I make it a Virtual Drive?
- Or, is the drive really bad?
Edited by jmaychang, 03 October 2015 - 02:11 PM.