Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost instant hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve817

steve817

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

My first time, so be gentle. Replaced hdd about two weeks ago on hp pavilion 23 all in one, drive failed again with flags on current pending errors count; again replaced drive, used hdd scan to verify good working condition and next day computer will not boot, system repairs cannot, and I have the same Current Pending Errors Count flag on my SMART test. I would gladly welcome any thoughts on matter; checked mb for caps or scorch marks, all looks ok.

Thanks for any input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi, welcome on board. We were all new once and started at post  #1.... I'm not far behind you.

It's gonna work out expensive keep buying new drives, can we be sure it is the drive, is it possible to try one of the faulty drives in another machine or a external caddy, we need to be sure it is the drive and not the computer.... we don't know if something has happened to the mobo, drive controller for example...... are all these the same brand, are they from a reputable source, what about a warranty on them any chance of a return? So many questions comes to mind but we do need to be sure it's the drive first of all.

If using in a caddy, ie a slave as opposed to a master bootable drive you will have to alter the jumper setting from Master to slave, doing this will allow you to see  the files on it proving the drive is mechanically  OK but the fault 'may' lie with the boot sector that's used for booting.

Dave

Edited by Pentodes, 03 October 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#3 steve817

steve817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Dave, thanks for the response. I'm actually fairly certain it's not the hard drive; trying to figure out tests and/or repairs to discover what is eating my hdd. I have to order a replacement sata cable as it is funky hp part in effort to test if that is the culprit. Thanks again!

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users